Father's burial @ sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waynedive

New
Reaction score
Hey all,

My wife and I are in need of some help. My Father-in-law dies on Newyear's eve a year ago. He was an avid diver and we had always planned on taking a family dive trip to Hawaii, but never made it. It was one of the places he most wanted to go, but never got the chance.

Our idea is to take him on his final dive & leave him off the coast of Maui. We have him in one of those urns that, once in sea water, dissolve into sand/dust with in a few weeks, thereby letting the currents take his ashes.

We are not at all familiar with the waters around Hawaii, so don't feel particularly comfortable just renting a boat and doing this by ourselves.

Does any one have any experience with this type of burial at sea? If so, do you know which of the dive charter's or of anyone who would take us out?

Do you have any suggestions on where a good dive site would be? We're thinking that along a wall somewhere would be best as his urn is shaped like a conch (don't want it to be snagged by another diver before it's dissolved).

Thanks so much for your help.

---------- Post added September 2nd, 2015 at 10:44 AM ----------

Forgot to mention, that my mother-in-law does NOT dive, so would like to at least be snorkeling or at least on the boat.

Thanks again

Here's the initial problem with your plan:

The federal Clean Water Act requires that cremated remains be scattered at least three nautical miles from land. If the container will not easily decompose, you must dispose of it separately. The EPA does not permit scattering at beaches or in wading pools by the sea. Finally, you must notify the EPA within 30 days of scattering ashes at sea.
Burial & Cremation Laws in Hawaii | Nolo.com

Since most dive sites are near Maui or the other nearby islands, that could be your first hurdle to wanting to dive with and place the urn.

Maybe contact these folks for more info/options:

Maui Ash Scatterings

My other suggestion if you don't want anyone accidentally recovering it is to drop it somewhere most rec. divers can't go. It won't be a dive but an urn likely won't be found anytime soon in one of the deep channels that crisscross Hawaii. Hawaii ocean channels

fyi also...
An advanced dive, the Molokini Wall is a World Class Wall and Drift dive for certified divers only. The Wall is approximately 360ft in depth, however divers will level off at 80ft or less

Back
Top Bottom