Father drowns on family Niagara river dive trip - Ontario, Canada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A sad event

As I read it some folks who have some experience dive in an unfamiliar location in a river with out talking to locals and finding out what it is like and if there are any hazards.

Not something I would do. Maybe at a coral reef, but not in a river.

In general, whenever I'm diving in a new area I check with locals to see if I need a guide or a little more training. This is especially true if you are diving in areas not know as a tourist destination.

What’s the attraction? Fast drift dive with the option of finding things like bottles.

Having done this part of the Niagara River more than a couple of times, I’m having a hard time picturing where the current would “shoot you out of the water”.

Sad dive for the family and friends.

So sorry for the family. He sounds like he was a great dad. His memory will be a blessing to them.

As the link in the footer of the post of the artist formerly known as NetDoc suggests, "dive and let dive". For some of us, 'excitement' is reason enough to be in the water - there's no 'right' reason to do a particular dive, nor a 'proper' one as long as we plan and execute it well, what matters is that we enjoy it :)

That video sure looks like you could be sconed on the noggin pretty easily though eh, and doubtless there are worse days and worse parts than that so not something I'd do without an expert guide.

Reactions: Ana
While the dive doesn't really appeal to me, I do live on a coast with easy access to diving. I can see somebody who doesn't have the same local opportunities looking forward to getting some time in and under the water doing this just to scratch the itch.

I'd have to wonder if the family had ever done anything like this type of diving (a fast river). Perhaps, they didn't know what they didn't know, though one look at that place told me it wasn't just a fun dive.

For readers, here's an important takeaway from this event: think extra hard when you take your family. You don't want to take out your whole family over your mistake. We've heard about parents with a child which is horrible enough but this could have been the whole family. Great you enjoy diving together but dial in more caution when you are risking your family; one or more.

I hate to repeat myself, and I apologize if this isn't directly related to this particular event/thread, but reading this forum over the last 5 or 6 years religiously have given me a much greater situational awareness regarding the diving I do. I dive with my kids, so what Shast_man refers to above resonates with me. I'm not a worry wort or a nervous Nelly, but I do think seriously about the dives we do, and the conditions we do them in. I think it has made a world of a difference in my overall safety.

I just learned about this accident today after poking around on google after waking up this morning from a dream about my college roommate. She was married to Mike. I can’t begin to imagine how tremendously heartbreaking his loss is for those who loved him. He was an incredibly nice man.

The first time I was truly scared of water without being in it was the first time I saw the Niagara River a bit upstream from the falls back in 1996. It was so deep and so fast and just looking at it filled me with fear. I watched the video that was posted in the thread, and that’s such a fast current and if the visibility is less than ideal, it seems like a terrifying ride to me. I’m a photographer so drift diving holds little appeal to me, but I understand why some enjoy it. I can’t imagine the horror his wife, a physician, went through waiting on the surface. They built a beautiful life together and to have his end so early is profoundly sad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom