Fatality while diving Duane (Key Largo)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon:
I thought it was one of the easier of the deeper Keys wreck dives, much easier than it's sister The Bibb. Our buddy posted this on another thread here...

My first hunch would be medical with little connection to the dive...?

From the article, I'm inclined to agree with DandyDon. I dove the Duane recently and it's not a particularly dangerous dive, although the current can be pretty stiff. Depending upon your dive operator (six/eight pack or cattle car) and how well organized they are, you might end up with a mob ascending simultaneously on the hang line and waving like flags in strong current, but I've seen worse.
The Duane itself isn't particularly dangerous or challenging as far as wrecks go, but I'm inclined to agree also that the sheer numbers of divers on these wrecks increase the odds of injury/death. It's always sad to hear of such a thing, and I also extend sympathies to the family of the lost diver.
SeaKat

Prayers to the family and crew.

On a side not it seems the last several dive deaths that been posted here have been males from 45 to 50 years old. Just a thought.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom