Fatality at Vortex Spring in Florida - May 9, 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jviehe

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I dont have any information as to the circumstances, but my understanding is it was a 70 year old man, heart attack while in the water. I was breifing my students on land when the alarm went out. CPR and AED was used for a while, before he was taken away by helicopter. I later heard that he did not make it.

It has long concerned me about certifying divers in cold waters on hot days.

I don't know what the temp was at V/S, or any of the other springs for that matter, but the scenario remains the same in the cave/spring country.

During the warmer months hordes of students show up for certification courses only to don wet suits and loiter about the grounds until such time they can get into the water and lower the body temperatures.

The elevated body temperatures can cause a great deal of stress, especially among older and physically unfit divers resulting in the increased probability of critical health issues.

It probably be prudent if "cool down" showers were positioned all about the preparation areas.

I'm sure this will escalate into a diatribe regarding proper oversight of student divers, proper planning, proper hydration and constant body temp reduction through rinsing, but I had to mention it regardless.

I know the springs are great places to certify, but their "colder" temperatures requiring full wet suits in the hotter months just seem to be a recipe for catastrophe, yet I know it will never abate.

the K

The K - why do you think it will never abate? Sounds like a great place to dive, just a little hot on top a little cold beneath - sounds like there's a solution out there begging to be found no?

Last edited:
Why will it never abate?

Everyone on SB seems to understand the structural problems and just blithely stands by and goes - 'oh well, nothing we can do'.

I'm in no way taking issue at you TK, I'm just mystified why x hundred thousand people can't organise to create some pressure points to get some scores.

SB at the moment seems to me a little bit pathetic.

I would prefer being responsible for myself rather than having the "village" organizing for my welfare. There are enough "pressure ponts" else where in life - I don't need them around my swimming hole.

Gents, why are you speculating about the state of health of the diver and derailing this thread? The OP's post contains no information regarding the state of health of the diver who died and these speculations don't appear to be warranted, helpful or useful...

If you want to debate these issues, that's fine, but I think it would be best to take it to a new thread.

R..

I want to first say thank you to everyone that was involved with this on Saturday. There is still an investigation in progrees but I can give you the information I know to be true. First the gentleman was 64 years of age. The instuctor is personally known to me and I think of as a good friend. He is an outstanding instructor with plenty of experience. I am SPECULATING when I say it appears to have been an heart attack. I have not talked with the doctors nor has an offical comment been released.

The instructor stated that he had just entered the water and was at the training platform (20' deep) when the gentleman made the sign of wanting to surface. The instructor signed to his divemaster to stay with the other three students and surfaced. The gentleman stated that he was having trouble breathing and the instructor asked him if he wanted to be towed to the dock. The gentleman said yes and when they approched to the dock the instructor asked how he felt and the man said that he was not feeling very good and having a hard time breathing. The instructor stated that the man looked pale and then the men collapsed backwards from a sitting position. The instructor yelled for someone to call 911 and started to pull him the rest of the way out of the water. There were several people in the area that were CPR certified and proceded to work on him. I counted at, one time, more than eight people in line to help. I had my employees call both 911 and AirHeart and I ran to the dock with my O2 kit. After all the effort, unfortunately, the gentleman still passed away. There is a lot of information that I am not sure that everyone would care to hear, but know this, If I had a problem here at vortex I hope the same people are here to work on me.

There is an ironic point to be made here, Friday we had AirHeart create an LZ (Landing Zone) here in my front yard. They brought the heicoptor here and trained my staff and I on the proper procedures of landing it here a Vortex. To this let me say that I am very proud of my employees and their actions in this accident.

I hope that this will answer some of the questions you might have.

Shane

It appears to me that everyone did everything that could be done.
I am reminded of a cardiologist's telling me once, "the first visible symptom of a heart attack is usually sudden death."
Rick

Yes, Vortex is a good place to be if you have any injuries. There was lots of medical help around. People who complain about the prices at some of these commerical dive parks should recognize that part of that cost pays for such safety. Had this happened at Morrison the response time would have been a lot longer.

As to the incident itself, DAN stats show most injuries occur due to health problems in people over 40, or ascending too quickly, so this incident is somewhat common Im not sure the hot and cold water has much to do with it though. We are still talking about only 1000 incidents a year around the world, and 100 fatalities. Compared to the number of divers going through places like vortex, I dont see much correlation. Which is not to say its prudent to keep divers well hydrated and cool. I would also be interested to know if the man had any issues on his medical release form.

It has long concerned me about certifying divers in cold waters on hot days.

I don't know what the temp was at V/S, or any of the other springs for that matter, but the scenario remains the same in the cave/spring country.

During the warmer months hordes of students show up for certification courses only to don wet suits and loiter about the grounds until such time they can get into the water and lower the body temperatures.

The elevated body temperatures can cause a great deal of stress, especially among older and physically unfit divers resulting in the increased probability of critical health issues.

It probably be prudent if "cool down" showers were positioned all about the preparation areas.

I'm sure this will escalate into a diatribe regarding proper oversight of student divers, proper planning, proper hydration and constant body temp reduction through rinsing, but I had to mention it regardless.

I know the springs are great places to certify, but their "colder" temperatures requiring full wet suits in the hotter months just seem to be a recipe for catastrophe, yet I know it will never abate.

the K

We deal with this in the Midwest as well. Have students done their suits and then, before kitting up, get in the water to cool off and flood the suit (assuming they're using wetsuits). If we're diving there's always water nearby. Why not use it? I'm not sure why showers would be necessary.

We've added a garden sprayer to our standard gear for our land based dive trips. You can get one for about 10 bucks at any home and garden shop. It is really nice when gearing up, we spray our drysuits down after zipping them up, and also spray our heads. It is also nice for rinsing sand or duck weed off gear after the dive. Amazon.com: Chapin Lawn and Garden 1-Gallon Sprayer #20000: Home Improvement

I think ours is a 2 gallon sprayer and is more than enough water for a whole weekend of diving.

Back
Top Bottom