Fast Descents?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TexasMike

Contributor
Reaction score
While I know there is danger from ascending too fast, is there any danger in descending too fast? (Consider that the diver can handle equalizing his ears with no problems during the fast descent).

The one danger I can think of is the narcs.I have been blessed with automatically equalising ears so I can descend quicker than others can.I would think that it would be worse on multiple dives.Maybe the docs might know better.I've yet to meet someone that can descend faster than I can.I need to remember that for my dive buddy which is another issue.
Cheers Ears,
The Gasman

I can think of no physiological reason whatsoever to slow a descent below the max rate at which you can clear your ears and sinuses and remain situationally oriented.
Consideration of a buddy, taking time to "smell the roses" etc may be reasons, but I really can't think of any physiological reasons. I believe the admonition of certifying agencies to take it slow and easy on descent is a sop to the "lowest common denominator."
Rick

only thing i can think of is narc city.... if you have never experenced it. try doing a rapid desent to 100 then stand up staight..lol

Depends on where you are and how deep it is. You wouldn't want to lose control of your descent say on a wall dive where the bottom is several hundred, even thousand, feet deep. You didn't say "loose of control descent", but it could very easily happen since you can really build up momentum if descending rapidly. Besides, it's bad form to crash into the bottom, espeacially if it's a thousand foot bottom. :)

hello TexasMike, howz it going?
about your question, yes i have to agree with warhammer on this one. I beleive that the slow decsent and headsup method was introduced soley for ease of equalization. if equalizing is something you have no problems with whatsoever than a freefall ascent as we like to call it can be a whole nother rush by itself.
But as Warhammer pointed out a controlled descent is a vital key to how the rest of the dive goes, easy in easy out. Remember one complication can easily lead to another.
kia tupato ehoa ma(so be very careful and keep safe my friend)
dive hard and catch you later

There were a few details I left out. The diver in question is a good friend of mine who has logged more dives than many of us put together. He was a commercial diver for the petroleum industry in the past, and now regularly does advanced technical dives in blue water every chance he gets. So as far as an "uncontrolled" descent, I don't think that is likely. And to speed up his descent, he will be using a scooter.

Essentially, he plans on diving on a wreck in North Carolina to try and recover some china and other artifacts. He explained that the wreck sits at about 225 fsw or so and that to maximize his bottom time, he planned on descending as fast as possible with the aid of the scooter.

This was the first time I had heard of a diver descending like this and was curious if there were any issues medically.

Thanks for the input!!

Given the relative cost and weight of a scooter to a couple more bottles of gas, I've got to wonder about this diver's priorities...
Still, if he wants to do it, I don't know of any physiological reasons he couldn't, so long as he can clear his airspaces.
Rick

I'm pretty sure Dr. Deco dosen't agree, but I know some of the bubble mechanics theoreticians advise rapid descents (and slow ascents) to help crush existing micronuclei preventing them from growing into larger bubbles on ascent.

I'm guessing that Dr. Deco will tell us that your muscle activity will quickly generate new micronuclei so there is no advantage to trying to crush the existing ones.

Ralph

Dear rcohn and Readers:

I do agree that rapid descents will not be a physiological problem. The generation of micronuclei will possibly be a problem if one must be very active at the end of the dive. This would be especially true in the ascent portion if you were, for example, fighting a strong current while ascending or while swimming to the boat (or shore).

Nuclei generation during descent will probably be countered by the effects of pressure as mentioned by Ralph.

Dr Deco

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom