Fast boats with shade canopy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bottomtime divers.Raul is a good guy who works hard to please.New motor on the boat is fast and smooth.

If you haven't purchased a room from Villa Blanca then Opal can get you a pretty good package, diving/room. Also if your a totally green ocean diver and have issues you think may hinder your comfort for the first couple dives then for sure get another dm to accompany you. Great idea. They wont ever take you to a drift site that is too swift for you. There are many sites to ease you into Coz currents. Besides they really arent difficult to handle. All you do is fly in the water, such a cool feeling. Stay above the reef areas that you may run into and away you go. Who ever you use likely will watch out for you if you tell them you are a new diver to this type and would like to take it easy at first. Have fun, I always do.:D

My thinking on a DM for the first dive was not so much about the actual drift dive . At my age descending getting buoyant and flying with the drift without having to do alot of finning is an older divers dream.
My 2 concerns with drift diving is not having a line to hold in case of comming up a little light during the safety stop and the routine of getting back on a moving boat.
My other warm water diving in Cuba , Roatan , San Andres always had the boat tied to the marker buoy and a descend line.
Having gained 20 lbs since last diving 2 yrs ago puts me at 6ft 220 lbs so my lead count will have to be recalculated for sure.
Got a great deal I thought at $40 per night / $20 PP at VB and $145 & tx for air fare.
Sent off an email to Opal and waitng her reply.
Thanks again guys for taking the time to help out a Coz newb.

My 2 concerns with drift diving is not having a line to hold in case of coming up a little light during the safety stop and the routine of getting back on a moving boat.
To the first point, you can do a shore dive out front of Villablanca to get your weighting correct; it should be easy to get a low tank from the Mau with 1000 or so psi so that you'll know what the end of the dive would be like.

To the second, since you and the boat are moving in the same current flow, it's as if there were no current. If there's significant wind, the boat may be drifting at a slightly different rate, but the normal routine is for the boat to have a bow to stern line in the water to hold onto while you hand up your weight belt, BC/tank, fins, camera, light, etc. Finally, if a bunch of you come up at the same time but a bit separated, you just float where you are and wait for the boat to come get you.

...may I just add a quick reminder to NOT hold on to the ladder as you're undressing in the water.. Many have a hinged portion that hangs into the water, so what you grab may end up turning into a medieval hand crushing device when a swell moves the boat.

Don't ask me how I know, I just do.

Thanks for the tip about the bow to stern rope , makes sense to me. So does an afternoon shore dive on the day arrival to tune the weight and equipment .
And whether its toes or fingers we have all been bitten by the evil boat ladder , some are just meaner than others. Good heads up ...Thanks.
For an extra minor $20 bucks we still will go with a DM for the first dive .

Just wondering ... Is the lead in Coz measured in kilo's or pounds .?

I like to balance the lead between my BC and a weight belt about 50/50.
I want to dive as light as possible and leave the 2 rear BC pouches empty in case I need to add a couple more pounds to compensate for the AL tanks used at Scubamau and my extra 20lbs of beer flab.
Opal Has been a pleasure to deal with in handling our trip plans .
Thanks Opal.

I second the recommendation to dial in your weight before hand (depending on your arrival time) if you can.

I had 6 days of super diving days Nov 7-Nov 12 and there was very little current on nearly all the dive sites we went to. This was my 4th trip to Cozumel and I have never had this before. So, you never know. In any event, it will be a blast and good luck with the trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom