Suggestion FAQ/Sticky Suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
simbrooks

simbrooks

Snr LayZboy Meteorologist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have only been on this board since last October, but have already seen many great (and not so) debates on various issues and researched about many topics and skills, equipment etc prior to buying new stuff and trying out new techniques. On many of these searches I found many threads that were asking a fairly basic question and half of the responses were telling the newbie to “go run a search and find x posts/threads on that subject” and of course some topics are hot topics that have flogged more dead horses than a glue factory could run through in a year! So I was wondering if there is a chance of putting more sticky/FAQ type threads in each forum dealing with the basics of the discussions, so that we don’t have to start new thread to discuss old dead topics and so that the newbies (both to diving and to the board) can find a ready reference to the basics behind the options they are thinking of posting about.

I am not asking for there to be no debates, but it does seem very catch 22 to tell people to go research and find that others have already asked the questions and been told to go do a search and that is what half the info is on various threads. After the newbies have read the initial thread on the topic (hot or previously covered) then they could ask further questions. I see that this has been done with success on various forums, in particular on the DIR forum (What is DIR?), the fins, mask and snorkel forum (drysuit fins – attached/unattached boot; and mask defog), but this is only the start of what things could be as there are so many FAQ’s that come up all the time. Again I don’t mean to take the fun out of the debates, but it might help to have these and others as stickies. I also don’t know who could write them, but I was thinking in the style of an unbiased discussion (open ended or closed thread – up to mods) pointing out the main arguments of the two sides of each debate, pro’s con’s etc.

So far I have come up with:
New to Scuba: (I understand that some of these things “should” be covered in the OW training, but people still seem to come here asking questions about them)
Renting vs. Buying Equipment
Certification Agencies – Instructor
Ear Clearing (also in medical forum) – inc Pipedope’s infamous video link!
Reduction in SAC
Buoyancy Control

Basic Scuba Discussion:
Online vs. LDS (inc warranty discussion)
How much weighting for x (wet/dry and different thicknesses) suit (also in exposure suits forum)
Spare Air vs. Pony Bottle (also in Tanks/valves forum)
Nitrox (pro/cons)
Horizontal vs. Vertical Ascent/Descent
Trim and Streamlining
Long Hose Debate (also in DIR forum)
BP/Wings vs. Jacket BC’s (also in BC forum)
AOW – necessary?
Agencies (again) – view of PADI resort divers, DIR divers and other agencies
How to Calculate SAC

DIR:
What is acceptable DIR rigging (prior to taking classes, those after should know)

Buoyancy Compensators:
How to thread a BP

Computers & Gauges:
Why a Computer
Algorithms
Wrist vs. Console

Exposure Suits:
Types of Drysuit

Fins, Masks and Snorkels
Split vs Regulat vs Jets

Regulators:
Cold Water – Piston vs. Diaphragm

Tanks/Valves:
Types of Tanks (Steel, Alu, Manufacturers)
Types of Valves, manifolds etc
O2 Cleaning?

DIY:
Spring Straps – how and why

also Florida Conch Divers:
Diving With Manatees
Directions/Diving at Venice for Sharks Teeth

I am sure there would be others, but I got tired trying to think more up. I don’t know if this idea will fly with the mods etc, and I am not quite sure how to put anything into action. I would like to hear if people second putting these FAQ’s/stickies up and if anyone else has some suggestions as to what should constitute an FAQ?

They might want to add buying on the internet and spare air

Should have read a little more thoroughly, I see you have them both covered

Tried to cover all the "extra hot" topics where i could, but i will count your addition as a seconding of those two debates! BTW, i didnt want this to seem like a source of training for new divers or something that might be a liability in terms of condoning a certain viewpoint that might put Pete (Netdoc) in an awkward position, that is why i suggested a post that has both sides covered in a fairly objective description of the pro's and con's of each viewpoint without getting emotional or showing bias.

if i may suggest something, in the Computer Threads, you can add which computer. maybe in the why computer ?

it seems a theme that shows up quite often.

also the which books to read and what magazines to buy/subscribe. i've also seen those around more than a couple of times.

i think it would be nice to have these as stickies because it would save a lot of time with the searching and, as you've said, the number of times one as to read a "do a search...).

i've even posted "do a search" replies when i think the person hasn't even tried looking for it, but this would make life easier to everyone. that's my feeling.

mikelegurra:
also the which books to read and what magazines to buy/subscribe. i've also seen those around more than a couple of times.
http://69.93.91.170/t467.html here is the long running thread on that, i know there are others, just have to make it a sticky i guess, it gets unearthed every once in a while.

I understand why this was moved here from the general scuba discussions as essentially it is a suggestion, but i thought it might actually get viewed and more suggestions by others could be added to really make it useful as a thread in that forum than this one where it will sit and no-one see or add to it.

Back
Top Bottom