Fantasy Lake Scuba Park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CavernQT

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any info on Fantasy Lake Scuba Park in Rolesville, NC?

HI CavernQT and welcome to the board.
I have about 100 hours under that quarry so guess I may can help. It's a fairly large quarry , seems like about 20 acres or so of water. It is reported to be about 90 ft deep at it's deepest (I can attest to 70ft, tooooo darn cold down there for me). There are several "attractions" including an old bus, several boats and the old rock crusher. Vis varies from 4 to 40 ft but usally about 10 to 15. There are several dive platforms as well. Camping is avalible on the grounds but there are NO showers or indoor toliets (several portajohns around). Water temp runs from 45 (I am told by the drysuit crowd) to about 85 above the thermocline during Aug/Sept time frame. That enough or you need more? I can give directions/phone numbers if you like. I think there are some pictures and maybe a link on www.downunderscuba.com , there is a club picture area somewhere on the site.

Thank you both, Herman and Tom. I guess it's fairly safe to say that there aren't too many divers there in mid-November? I'm headed to Raleigh on business and thought I might work a dive in, but it sounds like without a drysuit, I'd be p-r-e-t-t-y cold!

Yea, doubt there will be many divers there but I would bet there will be a couple. There are 4 dive stores in town, you can always spend a few hours looking around them. We have a dive club meeting on Nov 13 if you are in town, be glad to have you join us.

Herman,

Unfortunately, I was so busy with work that I didn't get any time to check out the dive shops, or even scope out the quarry. Working really puts a damper on my dive opportunities! I would have liked to attend the meeting, it's always nice to meet other divers. Maybe on a future trip, I can schedule a few extra days to see more of Raleigh and dive Fantasy Lake.

Tabatha

Sorry you could not make it, we had Bill Loven as a speaker, he is a local and has had many films on PBS and the like. He was the videographer that filmed the Russian distroyer as it sank on Little Cayman. Let me know if you are coming to town, be happy to show you the quarry.

I live in the area also, overall I would recommend the ride up to Rawlings, VA. for that quarry. Much more hospitable in my opinion, and you can actually see the things down there! Like Herman, I find the vis about 10' or so at Fantasy Lake, in which case it is very easy to lose your buddy and not the best rec dive in the world. Rawlins seems to have about 30' vis.

Tommy

Back
Top Bottom