Family Vacation, Isla Mujeres, Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave A.

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We just returned from Isla Mujeres, which is a 20 min. ferry ride from Cancun. One of the best vacations I've had in years! I work for a major Airline in the States, and while I haven't been everywhere, over the past 26 yrs., I've visited a few countries.

I needed a location that would satisfy the whole family. My son(15) and I are the only divers in the family, but my wife and daughter found plenty to do while we were diving 3 or 4 hours each day. You can rent golf carts that seat 4, but we chose mopeds. They are faster, quieter and easier to park. The island is small(maybe 5 mi. by 1 mi.) very scenic, great beaches(200 yrds from shore and water is chest high) downtown is clean and the people are very warm and friendly. The food was very good and reasonable most everywhere we went(we just ate where it was crowded). Crime is nearly nonexistent and there are few highrise hotels and no fast food or chain restaurants.

The week after Christmas is the peak week of the peak season and the island was almost completely booked solid. After numerous calls to find a room, Sonia Fuentes, with Aqua Adventures, took care of everything. We booked a 12 tank dive package with her that included all scuba rental gear and 4 nights at Villas Marina Paraiso for a very, very reasonable price. Tom, the proprieter of the Marina, is a wonderful host, and within 24 hrs. felt like we had known him for years. The Villas were clean and simple, but we only slept there as the action was under a outdoor pavillion with a selfserve bar using the honor system of accounting. I enjoyed chatting with the boat captains who would gather at the bar and were passing through to other destinations. Also, you can walk to town in 40 min. and the dive shop is right there at the marina.

I'll wrap up by saying the diving was all I expected and more. Divemaster Will, was very accommodating and Instructor Juan is a hoot(never boring). I've got less than 20 dives under my belt, and while Key Largo,FL was nice, this was much better. We saw 2 sharks, sea turtles, stingrays, groupers, lobsters, dolphins, and more colorful fish and coral than I was expecting. We did a drift dive, and a little cavern exploring(plenty of light shafts). Just visit Aqua Adventures website which contains many pictures, good info, etc.

Welcome to the board and thanks for the report. I hope you get a chance to dive some of the other sites that a family friendly. I belong to a club so I get a chance to dive quite often locally (Canada). I have a problem when it comes to family vacations because my wife and our mutual friends don't dive. Some of the places I found that were great for both - me diving - everyone else not diving: (1) Jamaica - the Sandals resort in Negril (2) Breezes resort in Curacao (3) Cozumel anywhere (4) Playa del Carmen/Puerto Adventuras/Akumal - dive the cenotes and enjoy the resorts and ruins with your family afterwards. Start planning your next 200 dives today!!!!!!!!!

My wife and I Honeymooned in Playa Del Carmen 2 years ago and that is where I first dove.

Since I've dove in Key Largo and Isla Mujeres is where I want to take the family this coming spring.

Glad to hear you had a good time.

Would you recommend the resort you stayed at? Any other resorts that looked good or that people would recommend in Isla Mujeres?

lynnlchan,

If you want Ritz Carlton type ammenities, check out the Rolandi Hotel. If you want the best beach, check out Ixchel Condos on vacation rental by owner website. If you simply want a clean, plain room, great rates and want to meet kind and interesting people, we were pleased with Marino Paraiso. Villalabella is a B&B that caters to adults only, see their website as well. It's located on the rocky side of the island, so not much beach to speak of. We had a drink at their bar/pool area and I could easily spend a week there. Next time, we will probably spend a couple of nights at each place to mix it up(we travel light). Hope that helps.

Dave A.

I'm looking for info to book a trip. It's my boyfriend's first dive trip, he'll be getting certified. I'd like to make the trip as easy as possible. No fancy amenities, just clean rooms and diving. We'll want to head out of the hotel for local food.

Thanks Dave. I'll check out your recommendations.

Lynn

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom