Failing at Equalizing - Advice, Anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just started using a generic mucinex with pseudoehpedrine in it. I get some temporary relief. The next time I go out I am going to try some of the other techniques you have suggested. I think it will just be a matter of conditioning.
In case you missed it above, here is the very helpful video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXx3S74XPhY&feature=youtu.be

And this page can be very helpful: Guide to Avoiding Ear & Sinus Injuries in Scuba Diving

I can usualy get my ears to equalize with some patience, and by leveling off, but the clearing afterwords can take weeks. I am still trying to clear my middle ear from a dive trip over a month ago.
That sounds like you need more help tho. Only a physician can tell you if you need excess wax cleaned out and how to safely do so, or whatever other problems you may have. An ENT doctor would be best.

I had an awful time equalizing as an open water student. Over time - I've gotten better at it - and generally equalize under almost any circumstances now. That's important since I work as SCUBA instructor. :)

I've learned that everyone is different. Some people like the Valsalva manuever - other folks like the jaw thrust - others do a swallowing movement. You need to find the method that works best for you physiology. It does seem to improve with practice, too.

Diving with a cold - or taking medicine to dive is discouraged by diving agencies. But if I'm working and MUST dive - my personal regimen may include occasionally using Sudafed or Afrin. Again, diving with a cold - or taking medicine to dive is discouraged by diving agencies!

More importantly - I've also found it's important to keep the sinuses clear. I generally get a little mucus buildup over the course of a dive - and will occasionally "blow" my nose underwater with a moderately forceful exhalation through the nose. I'm sure the fish appreciate the resulting streamers. :) That always seems to open me up - when things are getting a bit difficult.

Good luck to you!

That sounds like you need more help tho. Only a physician can tell you if you need excess wax cleaned out and how to safely do so:
I went to the ENT in September, but since I am a diver she wouldn't do anything that would compromise the tympanic membrane, so there were few options. I look on it as the price I have to pay to enjoy the sport. After listening to my ears pop every time I swallow for the last 5 months, I can almost tune it out now.

I went to the ENT in September, but since I am a diver she wouldn't do anything that would compromise the tympanic membrane, so there were few options. I look on it as the price I have to pay to enjoy the sport. After listening to my ears pop every time I swallow for the last 5 months, I can almost tune it out now.
I think you need to start a new thread in this Medical forum, explain your problems and what all you have tried - doctors, meds, exercises, etc. and I think our more knowledgeable physicians can discuss this better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom