Failed Checkout Dives :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lots of people don't like the idea of Sudafed, other decongestants, or some other meds while diving. And there are some concerns about the use of Sudafed specifically when diving Nitrox. On the other hand, lots of people do use decongestants without problems - this is something you have to make an educated decision what's right for you. However I will say it's always a bad idea to try any new med the first time whie diving when you've never tried it above water first. If you decide to do it, longer acting formulations (12 hour Sudafed rather than the 4 hour version) is probably a much better idea while diving so it isn't running out at a bad time. You also need to make an honest assessment of how much you are congested and why - I think there's a big difference between say, a cold and major congestion, vs. some very minor congestion.

You've been leading a charmed life my friend.
You're right... 28, have my own house, engaged to a beautiful woman, 2 great dogs. But as a cancer survivor you learn that missing out on experiences in your life is truly something to be disappointed about. When you've got a second chance, you barely want to blink in fear you'll miss out on something lol.

I knew not to take decongestants, because it could wear off during the dive. But I thought it was a 3 hour dive, 12 hour medication... I should be ok. the reason I took it was.. I LOVE spicey food lol... and for breakfast I put a ton of hot sauce on my eggs and oatmeal. Which made my nose run like crazy.. I could still equalize, but when equalizing my mask I didn't want it to get filled with snot. lol So I took the Sudafed and kept blowing my nose and it worked great.... except for the minor problem of being horribly allergic to it. I'm trying to work out something now to get my dives done.

Thanks Jar... Yea I left a message for him today :) He's an insanely great guy... loves to dive... so i don't think he'll mind stepping away from his shop for a few hours to dive. I see you are from "Beautiful" Port St Lucie! Nice to see a fellow Port Saint Lucian(?) on the net!

Smartest move was to thumb the dive. You had enough common sense while on the meds to sit it out. Others would have taken the chance and risk.

Just say "no worries" and look forward in planing your last two dives

Smartest move was to thumb the dive. You had enough common sense while on the meds to sit it out. Others would have taken the chance and risk.

Just say "no worries" and look forward in planing your last two dives

Thanks a lot of the replies guys I actually feel a lot better about the situation now

You're right... 28, have my own house, engaged to a beautiful woman, 2 great dogs. But as a cancer survivor you learn that missing out on experiences in your life is truly something to be disappointed about. When you've got a second chance, you barely want to blink in fear you'll miss out on something lol.

I absolutely think that is a great reason to be disappointed about missing a dive.... you might in the future way which you will miss more that day... diving or hot sauce...
:D

---------- Post Merged at 02:23 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:20 PM ----------

way = weigh

Did you take actual, plain Sudafed, or one of the preparations that includes an antihistamine as well? It would be very unusual to get a sedating effect from Sudafed, which is an adrenaline analogue.

But the good lesson you've reminded us all about is that you should always have some experience with a medication on land before you think about taking it while diving. At least you didn't have the onset of your sedative effect while you were underwater!

And like others, I don't count this as a failure, any more than it would have been a failure had you awakened sick. You can still do your dives, and still pass your class. And you have learned something.

If it makes you feel any better, I thumbed a dive because I had an unco-operative ear, the only dive I have ever needed to thumb, and that dive ended up having the group circled for most of the dive by a couple of big bull sharks. I was so disappointed that I did a bull shark dive the next day, even though I don't like the idea of "chasing" down marine creatures. Had nothing but remora's that dive. I still am disappointed about missing that dive a year later, but on the flip side if the exact same situation happened I would still thumb that dive again. Taking stupid risks and getting injured or worse because of it is just not worth it. If you had to give up diving because you pushed through a situation you shouldn't have you will miss much more.

Back
Top Bottom