Faber Tank - Finish and Valve Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crawlin95

Registered
Reaction score
I am pulling the trigger on my first tanks, going with Steel 100s. These will be local lake diving only, no salt water.

The hot dip galvanized come with only the Blue Steel valve and the funky boot while the XS scuba version comes in a finish of painted only but with the Pro valve and the better boot.

I know I could buy the pro valves and the boot to replace on the galvanized finish version but that's just extra $$$ I don't want to spend right now.

1) Is the Galvanized finish really that much better than their painted finish?
2) Is the pro valve that much better than the blue steel valve?

You don’t want the painted. It chips and looks like crap. You want the HDG. The painted finish I had on Fabers before got beat up just sliding them in and out of my SUV.

You don’t want the painted. It chips and looks like crap. You want the HDG. The painted finish I had on Fabers before got beat up just sliding them in and out of my SUV.
Any experience with the different valves?

Any experience with the different valves?

The XS Scuba valves turn much smoother and nicer than anything else I’ve used, IMO. I think there’s fewer turns needed, IIRC. You’d have to look up on their website.

I am pulling the trigger on my first tanks, going with Steel 100s. These will be local lake diving only, no salt water.

The hot dip galvanized come with only the Blue Steel valve and the funky boot while the XS scuba version comes in a finish of painted only but with the Pro valve and the better boot.

I know I could buy the pro valves and the boot to replace on the galvanized finish version but that's just extra $$$ I don't want to spend right now.

1) Is the Galvanized finish really that much better than their painted finish?
2) Is the pro valve that much better than the blue steel valve?
1-yes, hot dip galvanizing really is that much better.
2-where are you buying from? can you link to the blue steel valve? I'd be surprised if it wasn't a pro valve.

1-yes, hot dip galvanizing really is that much better.
2-where are you buying from? can you link to the blue steel valve? I'd be surprised if it wasn't a pro valve.

What is your definition of "pro valve" then? That valve certainly has an insert to accept DIN or yoke regulators if that is what you're concerned about

Guess i just simply overlooked the valve or was looking at a different tank specs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom