Faber 108's?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Campana

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I need a set of cave doubles. PST 104's seem the most popular, but for reasons of DM shop affiliation, I can get some Faber 108's really cheap, brand new. Any comments of pluses and minuses of the 108's?

I use the 108's and other than the paint job on them i never had a problem with them. Just got Hydros and all was fine. Some surface rust from a few chipped areas on the external surface, but i touched them up and they are good to go now.

If you can get a deal on the fabers i would do it, no point spending more $ than you need to. My Fabers, which i have 4 of, all have been very good to me, i would purchase them again.

If they were priced the same, i would opt for the PST just based on there durable coating.

Andy

I know a shop that is selling PST 104's for about $250ea, but the shipping would be another $30 probably. Without a valve and boot, the price might go down -- especially if you bought more than one.

Good luck.

Mike

the fabers are going to be way cheaper than that. Like, WAY cheaper. If you have access to a dealer's catalog, I'm talking dealer cost.

The shop I worked at didn't have much of a markup for tanks, but that was pretty low volume. Everything else was at least 100%.

Take care.

Mike

In fact our shop's major line doesn't even allow more than a 10% discount. They expect and demand that everything sells at full retail. Tanks and one or two other odd ball items are "at discretion" on retail price. Tanks are a very low profit item, that's why you can't get super deals usually. These tanks aren't from our major product line, however, and our cost is already pretty good, but they were also willing to reduce the price by eliminating the valves and boots since I'm manifolding them. Also got some kind of deal on shipping, plus manifold was cheap as were bands. Believe me, this is a hell of a deal for me. If we sold PST, I would just get the PST. But, we don't, so I'm going for the Fabers.

I like the other kind with the double sliding o rings or whatever they're properly called. They appear to be quite forgiving in the distance between tanks measure, as long as you can "grab" enough to get both rings engaged. I don't like the OMS design which I understand has to be a certain distance. The manifold is a Thermo, I believe, which is probably the same as Scubapro, Diverite, et al.

I have a set of the 108 OMS which are the same as faber 108's. The coating is just a little different on them. I would rather have PST's BUT. I got a better price. Divers supply sells the 108 fabers with a Sea Elite manifold for around $500. If I remember right.

You wouldn't be able to get another set of those for a new buddy you just met on the net would ya.

Time they add shipping etc., they are over $700. And sorry, no can do on the new buddy deal. Personal use only.

If you heard the deal I got the other night, you'd puke. It involves being invited to a presentation of the new products of our main line, which is one of the largest, most prestigeous lines in the world, and who prides itself on the quality of it's products, and not on those products' low prices. After the 3 hour presentation, in which they covered regs, exposure suits, BC's, and accessories, we had to take a 50 item test. We cheated. If we pass, we get a special deal on products. On one side of the form, we could order one complete "outfit" of gear, including everything one would need to go diving. The cost was below shop cost, way, way below shop cost. I am reluctant to tell you just how low the cost was, but I ordered my "outfit" even though I need nothing at all except some tanks. We only have to swear to the company that we will only use the stuff for "personal use" for a year. So I thought, what the hell, I kinda like that new "smart" computer and that new top o' the line reg set, and that little knife looks kinda groovy, etc. Maybe I could use the stuff for a year, since I already use mostly their regs anyway.

Who says DM's don't get paid.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom