F8.0 in C5050 to the limit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReyeR once bubbled...
The reason for this is that the imaging chips (CCDs) on most consumer digitals are very small (small fingernail). This means that the focal length of a 'normal' lens for a format that small is as short as 15mm (compared to 50mm for a 35mm format). A 15mm lens at F5.6 has DOF from about 76cm (2.5') to infinity! [/B]

That's what I always suspected this was the reason. I've just never had anyone completely explain it before.
Thanks,
Steve.

Hi,

I found that YS 90 Auto is now available in underwaterdigital. But then I looked close to its features that it provides you f22, f16 and f11 aperture setting. Does it mean these three stops are useless for C5050? Thanks.

Diver ABC once bubbled...
Hi,

I found that YS 90 Auto is now available in underwaterdigital. But then I looked close to its features that it provides you f22, f16 and f11 aperture setting. Does it mean these three stops are useless for C5050? Thanks.

In my opinion, the YS-90 AUTO is what is useless. Great example of making something incredibly simple more complex than it needs to be, and missing the point at the same time.

The theory is that the sensor in the strobe head will quench (turn off) the strobe when sufficient light has been delivered based on the aperture selected.

The problem is that the sensor is in the strobe head, which will be at a different distance and angle from the subject than the camera lens will be. The light reflected back to the strobe will have little relationship to the light reflected to the lens.

Go with the YS-90DX. Pick your aperture based on the goal of the shot (deep field of focus = small aperture - 5.6 to 8.0. narrow field of focus = large aperture - 1.8 to 4.0.), set the shutter speed based on the background you want (blue = long exposure, black = short exposure) and do a little trial and error with the strobe output.

Agree with Jeff, what a useless concept that is.
Why don't they spend their resources getting it to work in TTL with pre-flash instead. It's obviously capable of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom