Exumas - Normans Cay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubawife

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Diving in the Exumas looks like it could be a cool trip, but I do not know anyone who's dived in the Exumas. I've been to New Providence and was very disappointed with the reefs (or lack of). I love the East End of Grand Cayman and the reef diving around Akumal. If anyone can compare the diving in the Exumas to those places, that will be a great help. Also, if anyone knows anything about Normans Cay or Custom Aquatics, please let me know.

Thanks!

The diving in Exuma Sound is good but, IMO, not as good as East End or Cozumel (haven't been to Akumal). The visibility in the Exumas is not as good as Cayman or Coz or the Gulfstream side of the Bahama Bank. Some places have serious algae problems too.

Consider a liveaboard such as Gulfstream Eagle or Aqua Cat. They might give you more versatility than a land-based operator from Norman's.

scubawife:
Diving in the Exumas looks like it could be a cool trip, but I do not know anyone who's dived in the Exumas. I've been to New Providence and was very disappointed with the reefs (or lack of). I love the East End of Grand Cayman and the reef diving around Akumal. If anyone can compare the diving in the Exumas to those places, that will be a great help. Also, if anyone knows anything about Normans Cay or Custom Aquatics, please let me know.

Thanks!

You can get some excellent wall dives & current dives every bit as fast as Coz in the Exumas; it just depends on where you go. Afterall, it's a long chain.

During the 2 years we ran a sail/dive charter in the Bahamas, we were happy to discover that diving there is much more than New Providence (Nassau). In most cases, it's simply a matter of going elsewhere.

However, be warned: the Out/Family Islands are sparsely inhabited, with amenities commensurate with their locales. No nightlife out there, mon! But the diving is great. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom