Extreme currents after the Tsunami?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

karseng76

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Not sure if this is the right place to post this.

I'm curious if any of you or your friends have been diving somewhere after the recent Tsunami triggered by the quake in Japan (11 Mar 2011). If so, did you encounter any unusual current and where did you encounter that?

Reason for the question was I've just heard from two group of friends diving in two different location and both reported some nasty waves/currents. My immediate guess is that they were somewhat related to the recent Tsunami. Given that it can travel across the pacific within a day, I suppose there's plenty of energy to move the water back (and fro?) across the pacific?

The two event were as follows.
- One group was diving at Pulau Dayang (Lang) off the eastern coast of Peninsula Malaysia on Sat (12 Feb) around 2pm+ local time. The divers were initially at around 17metre when they encounter a down current, bringing them down and out to around 24 metre. This is the first time I've heard of such down currents occuring in Dayang which seems highly unusual.

- Another group diving at Con Dao in Vietnam today (14 Mar) also seems to have encounter some huge waves and/or strong currents but I didn't have much further details on that.

If anyone happens to be in the water anywhere these couple of days, do share your encounters if any. Thanks. :)

As a geologist, I highly doubt that these situations you described are related to the tsunami that occurred in Japan on the 11th of March especially that they occurred 3-4 days later, by which time, the residual energy from the tsunami would/should have dissipated.

then again i might be wrong :D

Cheers

The rough water around Lang was most likely a result of the tail end of the monsoon season. Lots of people reported similar conditions for the past few weekends.

I tried diving Hanauma Bay (Oahu) the day after the tsunami but was turned away by volunteers who said I would be turned into a pretzel underwater. Instead, I dived next door at Lanai Lookout and had splendid visibility, smooth conditions and no other divers to contend with. Nobody on the dive noticed any unusual surge or currents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom