extra warmth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SSIdiver02

Reaction score
My friend is diving with a wetsuit this weekend, and the water temp is 52 degrees (f), I am diving dry, he wants to know if there is anything you can do or wear under the suit to increase your warmth underwater. By the way he has a 7mm Akona wetsuit. Thanks in advance from my friend tom.

Ummm...

I've been in low 40s with a 7/5 goldcore worn over a microprene tropical suit for about 25 minutes once. Now that I own a dry-suit, never again!

It helps to flood the wetsuit with warm water before starting the dive. We bring the large thermos (1 liter or so) jugs with the flip up spouts. Just pull open the wetsuit neck and dump it in till it starts pouring out around the ankles and then get in the water quick.

This helps by not having to waste body heat warming all the water that comes into the suit when you first get in (the warm water is already there so less comes in) and helps reduces the shock of that first hit of icy water running down the spine...

I've never tried it, but I've heard that duct-taping the wrists, ankles and zipper can help reduce the flow of water in and out of the suit during the dive as well.

Hope this helps. :)

"Yourein" luck, I do know "one" thing that wetsuit divers say helps....:D

norcaldiver once bubbled...
"Yourein" luck, I do know "one" thing that wetsuit divers say helps....:D

But I have to give all that up when I go 'dry'.

Otherwise the guys look at me funny and don't want to hang out with me after the dive. :jester:

Actually, a hooded vest. Will help keep water from going down his neck.

One thing I've NOT to do is wear a dive skin under a neoprene wet suits. I've heard several say that the dive skins actually wick heat away from your body.

for 50f water in oregon coast here under my 7mm wetsuit I tried wal-mart fruit of the loom thermal crew long underware top that is thin ribbed long underware cost about $6 seemed to work real good I tried other things under wet suit but this was really was warm --- my hands and feet are still very cold still

dc4bs once bubbled...

But I have to give all that up when I go 'dry'.

Otherwise the guys look at me funny and don't want to hang out with me after the dive. :jester:

Relief is spelled p v a l v e :D

Phil

dc4bs's advise is good,"flood the wetsuit with warm water before starting the dive" this also applies to the gloves.
3 finger mittens are warmer than 5 finger gloves.

Duct tape around the wrists and ancles will reduce water flow, but becareful, too tight will reduce blood flow and the hands and feet will be cold! Also make sure any holes in the suit, gloves hood etc are repaired

A hooded vest, adds insulation to the chest/head area and is a good measure.

Preserving heat before the dive helps also.
Do you have a warm area to change in?
I don't know what your weather is like, but it's now down near the freezing mark , here in Ontario

MikeD
:blfish:

If he is using the Akona semi-dry (semi-wet) suit he should be good for a dive or two at 52 degrees. Definately a 7mil hood, booties and some good 5 mil gloves (or better) are called for. A lot will depend on the air temp. If it is cold when you get out multi dives will be much more difficult.

I have dove in 45 degree water with a 7/5 mil semi-dry and survived. Multiple dives would not be a good idea at that temp. The suit is very comfortable at 60 degrees. At 52 degrees your somewhere between survival and comfort. If the suit is not a semi-dry then your friend will be cold and may want to try the duct tape. The only thing that I would put underneath are knee high nylons to help get the thing on and off (assuming there are no ankle zippers!) I have tried putting my 3 mil shorty undereath, but it made the 7 mil too tight and hence my breathing became too difficult. If you had a shorty that was a size too big it might go over the top.

Have fun. :)

Back
Top Bottom