Extra straps...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beach_Bunny

Reaction score
How many extra straps would you carry in your save a dive kit, I order them two at a time so should I bring both of them.

Also I have atomic split fins which have different straps than I have ever used as far as replacing them. What are the odds that when I am on vacation of a shop having some replacements?

Beach_Bunny:
How many extra straps would you carry in your save a dive kit, I order them two at a time so should I bring both of them.

Also I have atomic split fins which have different straps than I have ever used as far as replacing them. What are the odds that when I am on vacation of a shop having some replacements?

The chances of more than one breaking at a time are pretty slim. I usually base it on how remote I am, if there are backup options available, and how upset and I going to be if I have to do without the item. If you are on an expensive liveaboard that does not have gear for rent you would be in trouble if your fin strap(s) broke. On the other hand, if you you are going somewhere that has equipment readily available, would you be ok with renting fins if yours had a problem? I was trying to pair down my save a dive kit for a liveaboard trip, but at the last minute I threw in one extra mouthpeice, and don't you know it, that was the only thing that broke on the trip and I was glad I had it.
I would say to not count on a shop on vacation having the right kind of strap for your Atomics.
Just my 2 cents...

EDIT- And I agree with matnik, the spring straps are great

I'm a big fan of spring straps as well, though I'm not partial to any particular brand as long as they don't rely on any type of plastic to attach to the fins. As far as your question concerning what a dive op might have on hand; I wouldn't count on them having anything other than generic straps. I'm not familiar with the exact configuration of your fins and fin straps, but would certainly recommend that if you own extra straps that you know will work to bring at least one in your save a dive.

I've gone to spring straps for my 3 sets of fins and neoprene "slap" straps for my 3 masks, so I don't carry any replacement straps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom