extra scuba days before/after liveaboard trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello all,
We are planning a live aboard trip this summer for the Brothers, Daedalus, Elphinstone itinerary. We might have a few days before or after the trip. I've already been to other areas of Egypt, so was wondering if we should stay in the Red Sea and do a few more dives from land. If so, what areas would you recommend? If we do the Brothers, Daedalus, Elphinstone route, would dives in the Northern Red Sea be significantly different? Would the jumping off point for these northern sites be Hurghada? Also, what would be the best dive site to try to see dugongs? Would we see these on the liveaboard, or should we try to dive other sites before/after the boat.

I just did three weeks and three liveaboards in Egypt. Got home last night.

The BDE trip was good, but I did the reefs and wrecks northern route twice. I wanted to head down to St John's, but couldn't find a boat I liked that worked with my schedule.

The northern sites had more fish and coral and were completely different from the BDE trip.

I saw a dugong on the first day, at the surface, after the checkout dive for the BDE trip. Just crazy good luck. I was told there is a dugong tour out of Marsa Alam, so if they are your goal, I'd stay in the south.

If you want relaxed diving with beautiful coral and fish, I'd head north. Sharm, Soma Bay, Hurghada (the reef in Hurghada is more beat up, but I still had two gorgeous day dives between liveaboard sailings there).

Back
Top Bottom