Extra bits for Costa Rica?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetPup

Weedy Sea Dragon
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi all,

I've got an upcoming trip to go diving with the sharks at Cocos Island in Costa Rica and am trying figure out if there's anything worth adding to my setup before I go. I'm trying to keep the weight down due to the number of flights I have to take to get there, but don't want to miss out either by not taking something. I'm still relatively new to u/w photography, so would appreciate any advice.

My current camera setup is a Canon G12 with the Canon housing. And I have an Ikelite strobe which I can add if the situation dictates. My understanding of the type of diving at Cocos is that I probably won't be needing the strobe though, but happy to stand corrected on that. Is it worth purchasing a macro or wide angle lens for the housing for the trip? I'm open to suggestions from those who have been before!

Many thanks
Wet Pup :coffee:

In general there is not "great" macro in Cocos, but you can always find something. They seem to know the spot for an orange frog fish. I would always have the strobe on the camera as you do get close encounters. You want to get a wide angle lens! This is the big advantage of a camera that can take wet lenses. Have it if you are lucky and get the massive school and in general the more water you can remove between you and the subject the better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom