External Strobe on Digital Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seaangel

Reaction score
I just started using an external strobe on my SeaLife digital camera this past weekend on a dive trip. Alot of my photos have come out very dark and some are black. Before using the strobe I never had this occurrance. What could be wrong? Any suggestions for me to try to improve this would be greatly appreciated.

I started out with the Sealife digital package you have and when in the beginning I had similar problems, which revolve around not having enough light to illuminate your photos.

If the external flash is not firing (assuming batteries are OK and strobe in good working condition), check:
1) batteries, a fresh set of alkalines or recharged NiMh
2) the two light sensors on the bottom of the front of the strobe (two clear circular pieces of plastic with what looks like a diode behind it) have a clear path to the light coming from the internal flash. If you bend the strobe head past certain angles, like behind or below the camera body, the light sensors won't know the internal flash is firing.

If the external flash is firing and synchronized with the internal flash check:
1) You have the camera menu set to "external flash", which adjusts the internal flash and sets exposure according to the external flash. If you have the camera set to fire an underwater shot without the external flash, your exposure will be off.

If all of these check out, then get closer to your subject. I found that the external flash is good to about 2 feet for "true" colors. Up to 4 feet you'll get colors shifted to blue and green. After that there's a marked decline in the light that you can capture with the camera. Anything closer than 2 feet and you'll have to diffuse the light intensity from the external strobe because the strobe fires at full intensity each time. I rubberbanded a piece of semi-opaque plastic to the front of the strobe.

Good luck.

Thank you for the tips. I had bent the strobe to try and aim it more down and at an angle toward my subject. I guess that was part of the problem. I had a fresh set of batteries in, just bought the strobe and this was the first time using it on a dive trip.

I know about the blue hues being further than 4ft seem to occur. But, some of the closer shots I took did not have the colors brought out they should have had, or they were very dark and black on the screen. Not able to distinquish an image. I hope that all the problem is, was my not having the strobe lined up properly with the internal flash.

You can also get a dark image if you take a shot before the strobe fully recycles a charge. Make sure the orange ready light goes on before taking the next shot. I can't think of anything else. Must . . . get . . . sleep . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom