External storage options, GoPro to iPad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have a look at the Kingston Mobile Lite

Wireless

I use it with a 2TB USB Drive (via my iPhone) to download all my photos from SD cards.

I just looked at the Kingston wifi, very cool.

I bought the Seagate Wireless Plus to connect to my ipad via wifi. I can save save files, videos and music on it, as well as connect it to my PC at home. Love it

You need either a wireless plan on the iPad, or wifi to use those, correct? My problem is that my iPad does not have a wireless plan, and on vacation we don't always have wifi.

You don't need to have a witless plan. The seagate wireless creates it's own wifi. You just turn on the drive and connect to the ipad via wifi. Don't need external wifi service.

---------- Post added August 4th, 2014 at 10:21 AM ----------

Watch this video on it:
http://youtu.be/wDGabf7juQA

You don't need to have a witless plan. The seagate wireless creates it's own wifi. You just turn on the drive and connect to the ipad via wifi. Don't need external wifi service.

---------- Post added August 4th, 2014 at 10:21 AM ----------

Watch this video on it:
How to use Seagate Wireless Plus - YouTube

That looks slick, and the wireless allows for the camera connector to be plugged in as well. However, my IT guy says that the iPad can only function as a gateway from the camera to the external drive if the file being moved is small enough to be stored temporarily on the iPad, it will not pass through other wise. Since my iPad is only 16gb, I'm thinking that might be an issue with the GoPro files.

Don't know if you have looked into SD cards that are wireless. I have been using my witless plus for about eight months now and love it. You can save it to the external hard drive and download any video you want to the ipad from the drive. You just have to install the seagate media app on your ipad. It's found in the App Store.

I got a little $250 netbook specifically for this task. It's smaller than a laptop, can transfer from GoPro to a portable hard drive, and play the videos (1080p/30 fps) without issue. Wish a tablet would do all that, but haven't found one that's nearly as cost effective.
Im writing this message from one. Of course the "cost effective" part is open for discussion, unless you get it on sale...
Its an Acer Iconia W700 so its slightly large for a tablet, but very small for a laptop and it IS a fully functioning laptop, not a gimped version that cant run normal pc software. The gimped ones tend to be cheaper (and less useful)

I have the same question. I have a netbook, but really do not want to travel with it just for GoPro purposes. I prefer my iPad for travel and in general. Instead, I'm thinking of just getting another SD card to swap out of the camera when it reaches capacity. I'll deal with file transfers and such when I get home. Do others do this or does everyone lug a laptop with them on vacation?

I have the same question. I have a netbook, but really do not want to travel with it just for GoPro purposes. I prefer my iPad for travel and in general. Instead, I'm thinking of just getting another SD card to swap out of the camera when it reaches capacity. I'll deal with file transfers and such when I get home. Do others do this or does everyone lug a laptop with them on vacation?
I take multiple SD cards but the non-divers with us like to see the videos while we're there, so we need something to play them on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom