Extending Strobe Arms

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PapaBob

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
It is hard to believe I have had my 20D rig for a year and it has worked nicely for me so far. I have twin ike ds125s with the kit arms that have a 6" main joint. Because of vis issues in South Florida, I would not mind a little more extension on the strobes. I am considering buying two 9" arms and clamps. I could then keep the 6" for macro, 9" for wide angle and some close up, and combine them and go 15" per side if I want great separation to avoid backscatter.

Any critique of my plan or alternative suggestions are appreciated. If you have another arm combination or brand you think will work better, then let me know what works for you.

Any advantage to using the 1.25" ball for the new arm and then buying an adapter for the existing 1" ball joints? Or will the rig hold with 1"ers and a 9" and 6" arm on each side.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

—Bob

For the quality of viz you have in Fl I would suspect having 15" would be the way to go. Typically, the poorer viz and greater stuff floating around in the water, you want longer arms. When I go to the tropics, I use about 18"-24" extensions on both strobes (see my profile pic), but I want to be able to move the strobe close to the lens when shooting macro. For the waters here at home, viz can be pretty bad compared to down in the tropics (10 to 15 feet is typical), and I use 36" extensions.

I just ordered a set up from Aquatica to replace my arms like you have now. Blake will get you the right parts to adapt to the Ike arms and the DS-125 strobes.

Product #17501
3 section arm: 4” lower, 8” middle, 8” upper, includes 2 ball joint clamps & base tightening knob

Warren: I love your rig but don't need the same separation for Florida as you noticed. If you are ever in my area, please PM me cause I would love to share a dive. OBTW my granddaughter still gets a kick out of your avitar.

Dennis: I know how well you research stuff so I am very intrigued by your new arm system. Can you give me some contact info for Blake?

Best to all

---Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom