Extend Air For Dolphin rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carlislere:
You cannot use the Drager scrubber with the ExtendAir. The refit kit comes with a scrubber that the cylinder fits into perfectly thus not allowing channeling.
If you plan to only use the Dolphin for less than a year, I would recommend you stay with the sorb. It's not worth the cost for so short a use period.

Yes, i know that, i should have defind my question better, couldn't you have went back to the orignal Dolphin scrubber and Sorb?

caveseeker7:
The way I read Ron the ExtendAir makes him a bit less dependent on Dräger.

Anyway, in regards to cost, for the CCR the 20 cu.ft O2 costs $10, air diluant is between $5 and free. A scrubber charge costs $16 for 6-12 Sodasorb (though in the future plus shipping), so that's $21 for 5-6 hours locally at recreational depths.

Even to an SCR that compares favorably, to OC Nitrox it's a no-brainer.
For 5 hours I'll need 8 tanks at $10 a fill, that's about 4 times as much.

Annually you have the two onboard tanks, viz and hydro as required, plus three sensors ($225 for 3) O-rings and the usual small stuff. Every 40 hours or so a new $3 battery.

Yes, once you break it down, it really makes sense.

I heard there coming out with a bigger scrubber for the Sport Kiss so it could be used past rec limit's......and i heard there are more rebreather's coming onto the market this year, 3rd and 4th quarter's for under 5K, .

For myself, i will probley start out either with a KISS or Sport Kiss, only simply cause there around 5k, then after a few years, i will probley upgrade to a Eletronic CCR, maybe even with the HH installed.

Im just wondering if by then, rebreather's in general will come down alot in price, i think they are more used now withen rec limit's, thats why so many are competting in that market, and those who chose to make the step, 1/2 will go back to OC another 1/4 will stay using those, and the other 1/4 will progrees like myself into upgrading their unit's.

FLTEKDIVER,
Yes, I could go back to the Dolphin scrubber and sorb. I don't plan on upgrading to a CCR any time soon. The Dolphin is paid for and easy to setup and break down and clean.
It would be nice if the rebreathers would come down in price, and I don't see rebreathers becoming a big business in the scuba industry unless they do drop in price. But they are fun!

Obviously you have both the unit and the training expense up front, and both are considerable or, for some, prohibitive. I still don't own my own CCR because of it (though with the Prism's fair price that problem is more on my end than SMI's).

As for the reduced prices for rebreather, especially CCRs, I believe it when I see them. Over the years many rebreather were in development, sometimes highly touted, and never made it onto the market. Pictures, stories, trade show appearances and plenty of rumors, but nothing more. The Phibian, the Nautilus, the Cochran, the SMS2000. Vaporware.

Others seem to be build, but end up not being available to the public. The mysterious Infinto and the much awaited Nemesis come to mind.

The reality is that, in the US, the Dolphin and Azi are sold, and both are fairly expensive for what they are. The difference between them is justified, but both probably should be a grand less for what you get.

The Inspiration, Megalodon and Prism are the eCCRs you can buy.
The stock Inspiration, last time I checked, goes for $7,300 plus ADV and shut-off valve. High volume and low price? With the units build in England, and the dollar being weak, don't expect prices to come down.

The Meg is still listed for $7,500 on their website, without ADV, HUD or deco. Lately fully optioned prices have been reported between $10,000 and $11,000, which I asume includes Shearwater deco electronics. A very solid CCR, but machining is by nature expensive. Don't expect prices to drop.

The Prism goes for $7,800 and has for many years. I asked SMI about the price and was told they have no intention of raising it. That price includes everything but the cowling.

The upcoming Evolution, as well as the Inspiration with new Vision electronics, should cost at least $8,500 based on the announced European prices, with fully optioned rigs (AVD, SOV, deco and scrubber gauge) exceeding $10,000. The first article I read in a German dive mag in August of 2002 estimated the price to be at Euro3,900 which was more than a grand less than the Inspiration. Turns out the price went the opposite way ... .

The KISS mCCRs have been placed in between, and prices have been quite stable (in Canadian currency, anyway). The smaller rebreather comes with the smaller price tag. It's also a newer design, more convinient to handle and probably less expensive to build. If Jetsam offers the announced 6,5 lbs. cannister option/upgrade, it should match the Classic unit in capability and could well replace it in the long run.
Someone actually brought a less expensive rebreather to the public.
Twice, really. Three cheers for Gordon and Kim.

The Nemesis, when shown at DEMA in 02 was supposed the be the magic less than $6,000 CCR. In Miami the following year the rig sat there looking good and supposed to be available soon. The Nitrox Diver CCR issue from that time lists it for $7,500, available in February 2004. The Evo is in there, too, to be sold in March 2004 between $8,200 and $9,995. The Ouroboros (now announced at Euro12,000) had the same sales date as the Evo at a lower $7,500.

So when anyone tells me about this "new rebreather" that'll be "available later this year" or "next spring" for "a low price" or "less than all other" rebreathers, I tend to be a wee bit sceptical. But I'll believe it when I see it.

Thank's for your outllok, as my friend was going to wait, till the end of the year before buying a rebreather,just cause he also has heard all the rumor's. I sent him this page, so he can read what you wrote.
what do you think those diverite's will run? I heard under 5k, but that's just simply talking amoungest friend's.

That's the same price I've heard, it's all over the net.
But as I said, I believe it when I see it. DiveRite isn't known for cheap gear, they're known for good gear.

My guesstimate is around $6,000-$6,500.

As for specs, data on the HH is readily available, you can download the manual at Juergensen's website. Manuals always make an intresting read, even if the units are not what you want, no longer available way out of your reach etc. ... I enjoy reading how things are implemented.
For the scrubber there is some data available, most of it is probably in this thread.
General specs such as size, weight, tank sizes etc. your friend will probably have to wait. I have no idea on the time schedule for the Optima.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom