Express Tech Std. 24# vs 30# Donut

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jimthediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I am about to pull the trigger and order up a Tech Express Deluxe. Reading through some of the threads I have noticed some divers seem to have a strong preference for the donut style bladder, why? What are the advantages, other than in this case the 6 extra pounds of lift?
I will be using mine for travel to warm water recreational diving. I usually just wear a wet skin and use 6 to 8 pounds weight, maybe 10-12 in cooler water with my 3/5 wetsuit and my current SP BC. I could potentially be mounting a set of doubles to it on another trip out to Truk.

The donut 30 bladder extends and inflates under the tank across your lower back. I find this allows me to be more stable when on my back at the surface. It's more like setting with your butt in an inflated intertube.
If you swim on your back looking behind you as your return to the boat or shore you might like it better. I do.

Thanks Capt.Gene. That makes sense to me and that's exactly how I usually paddle back to the boat. I'll be giving you guys a call in the very near future, right after I take care of the final payment on our upcoming PNG trip!

Back
Top Bottom