Express Tech converted to SS Backplate.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSaipan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I currently have a Zeagle Express Tech. I want to purchase a Zeagle SS backplate to replace the Express Tech backplate. Does anyone (Scott) know if I will need any other parts to make this work? Can I use the harness from my Express Tech or do I need to buy another one just for the SS backplate? Thanks

Have a look at this video: Zeagle Express

I may be corrected by a Zeagle owner, but it looks like they use a custom attachment to their backplate. This looks not only failure prone, but wouldn't allow easy mating to a standard backplate using either cambands or bolts.

It's easy to make your own Hog harness..... 4m of webbing, one SS weightbelt buckle, 4x D-rings, 6x SS webbing retainers.

No you can not use the harness other than the buckle or any D rings you may have added, it is made of 2 pieces of webbing instead of 1. You can use the wing and cambands if you like. But if you are going to a SS plate then I am guessing you are changing the type of diving quite a bit ...doubles maybe? If so, you are going to need another wing at least. By the time you have gotten another BP and wing, the cost of a few feet of webbing and a buckle is pretty much nothing anyway. Contrary to popular myth, a BP/wing is not buy one that does it all. If your diving varies a lot, you will end up with 2 or 3.

Have a look at this video: Zeagle Express

I may be corrected by a Zeagle owner, but it looks like they use a custom attachment to their backplate. This looks not only failure prone, but wouldn't allow easy mating to a standard backplate using either cambands or bolts.

It does not mate with standard backplates, simply because that is not what it was designed for. It is a lightweight travel system for diving a single tank...it isn't designed to be anyones primary tech rig. Like Herman said, one BP/W doesn't necessarily do it all....despite what many people would lead you to believe on the internet.

As far as "failure prone" goes, I guess I don't see it...maybe some people who own and actually dive it could chime in on that.

Scott

Backplate doesn't just mean 'tech rig'. A backplate is the basis of a modular system that can be adapted to all manner of diving.

I have a nice lightweight travel system, based around a standard ali backplate with harness. I just interchange the wing, according to the task. I have a 30lb travel wing, a 40lb cold water wing and a 40lb double wing. The wings come from 3 different manufacturers (DSS, Halcyon and Custom Divers). It takes 1 minute to inter-change them.

So, why does Zeagle make its 'wing system' non-standard? I can see no real reason for this... other than to ensure that owners do not have the flexibility to use it modularly with any other manufacturers products.

Corporate profit over product functionality?

We have a line of backplates, bladders, etc that will work with ANY brand of plate....and we make our metal plates so that they will accept the same wings that we use on our BCs.

Allowing our customers to use the bladder from their Ranger, Tech, Stiletto, etc. is saving them money!!! We aren't asking them to buy a seperate wing!!!

I would say that is anything but profit over funtionality.

I have seen your posts in the BC section, and I know that you love to argue your points...however, I'm not the guy to do that with. I don't have the time nor will I make the effort.

Good day, sir.

Scott

I currently have a Zeagle Express Tech. I want to purchase a Zeagle SS backplate to replace the Express Tech backplate. Does anyone (Scott) know if I will need any other parts to make this work? Can I use the harness from my Express Tech or do I need to buy another one just for the SS backplate? Thanks

After all that, I suppose I should actually answer your question!! :)

The simple answer is no. You cannot use your ET harness on a standard plate...however, you can use the wing and tankbands on a Zeagle metal backplate.

We sell either a standard or deluxe harness for metal plates that will work well, or you can take the advice above and simply buy some webbing and do it yourself.

Thanks and dive safe!

Scott

Sure. why not? The only issue is on the shoulder, just thread it like you would Express Tech (don't go sideways). For the record, this means you have a two piece harness, and not a true Hogarthian harness. So what? Swim to the beat of a different Drum Fish.

However, unless you are diving doubles, why would you want to ruin the set up? Just go buy Zeagle's back plate harness kit and not you have TWO rigs to choose from. I have dove quite a number of backplates and you won't catch me in anything but my Express Tech when I am diving a single tank.

So, why does Zeagle make its 'wing system' non-standard?
I missed this the last time I was in this thread, but this statement is patently FALSE. You can put any wing you want on their flexible back plate. They use the standard 11" spacing. You can use any Hog harness on their flex back plate: just cut it in half (or not).
I can see no real reason for this... other than to ensure that owners do not have the flexibility to use it modularly with any other manufacturers products.
Spoken like someone who has never dove the system. Am I right here? Just because you have failed to see the advantages, does not mean that they don't exist. Here is my list, and it includes many of the reasons why I don't dive a rigid plate unless I am diving back mounted doubles (yuck).
  • Low weight
  • Packability
  • Flexibility (try bending a traditional back plate)
  • Comfort
  • Scalability (add what you want or keep it simple)
  • Ease when doffing and donning the unit. This is FAR easier than a traditional backplate.

Corporate profit over product functionality?
Wow... who expects a corporation to produce gear at a loss? All of them are profit motivated. However, the Express Tech is by FAR one of the most inexpensive solutions for a person wanting the benefits of a back plate and wing. I think the LIST price for it is a around $250. Buy a new back plate and wing for that: I triple dog dare you!

The biggest downfall of the system? Are you ready? It's "different". Yep, that's it. People who are adverse to change just don't like innovations and this is truly a unique innovation. It has completely replaced my use of a traditional BP&Wings when I dive a single tank. That being said, one of my favorite LDSs sees another fault: It's incredibly inexpensive and makes their other systems look over priced. They simply won't discount it a dime in order to keep the other BCDs competitive. The cool thing is: they don't need to!

To the OP: did you go ahead and buy your Zeagle Plate? Most of them come with their own harness and hardware. If you do, you'll now have two solutions to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom