Exposure Suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MVacc

Registered
Reaction score
Me and my family are traveling to Hawaii over the summer in August. I have a 3 mil suit, complete with gloves/hood booties, and i also have my 7 mil suit complete with the same things. All the while i've pictured using a shortie or even a bathing suit in Hawaii, but recently i read that people even use 3 mil suits with hoods in hawaii. So i'm not really sure.. Can anyone offer some advice on exactly what to bring/wear?

Depends on your tolerance/what you're used to, really.

Personally, I use a full 3 mil with hood year 'round. In the winter I add a 2 mil vest and I'm still cold (but I'm one that gets cold easily). One of my buddies dives year round in a skin.

Water temp in August should be in the lower 80s, if that helps.

i wore a 3mm full suit in maui last november, no hood or gloves, and was warm, i was a bit cool on a dusk dive to 100ft, but apart from that the 3mm was enough..

Bring the full 3mm suit. But if travel bulk is a problem, you probably could pare it down to the hood, jacket, and boots. Most boat dives are two tankers; one deep (60-90ft) and the second shallow (around 40ft) and although well within nodeco time limits, time should be added for a safety stop anyway. Of course, temps vary with depth but are largely in the 70's(F); no thermoclines to speak of. Staying warm during the surface interval (typically around 40-60min) between dives is important; the boat's usually shaded with the offshore trades blowing. I use a 3mm hood and a 3mm surfing suit that resembles a farmer-john with most of the legs cut off (a clearance special from the Xcel factory in Haleiwa).

The water temps were right around 78 this May/June. Most locals dive either a 3 mil oir a 5 mil suit. It's warmer in August.

Like Chepar says, it all depends on you. Some people have better insulation than others. I know guys that dive in their shorts all year round and some of our Japanese folks wear a 5 in the summer and 2 suits in winter...
Pesonally, this time of the year, I wear a 3mm, Dee rag (to keep my hair out of the way) and gloves more for protection than warmth.
What suit do you usually dive in and what are the temps?

shorts, gloves, booties thats all, I never get cold good luck

justleesa:
Like Chepar says, it all depends on you. Some people have better insulation than others. I know guys that dive in their shorts all year round and some of our Japanese folks wear a 5 in the summer and 2 suits in winter...
Pesonally, this time of the year, I wear a 3mm, Dee rag (to keep my hair out of the way) and gloves more for protection than warmth.
What suit do you usually dive in and what are the temps?

Well, I live in New England, so i dive in cold water, usually around 45-55 degrees f. So thats a full 7 mil suit, hoods booties and gloves. I used my 3 mil set in Florida, and it seemed pretty fine. But i don't want to get there and be like.. Damn, its cold.. :)

Back
Top Bottom