Exposure suit recommendations for Yucatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brshooter

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am a newly certified diver. Will be heading to Mexico for 2 weeks in November. We will be staying on Tankah Bay which is just south of Akumal and north of Tulum.
My previous dives have been in the cool waters of the Pacific Northwest. What do people recommend for exposure protection down there this time of year. We will primarily be diving salt water and possibly a centote dive or two. Is a full 3mm sufficient?

Any suggestions/recommendations are appreciated.

A full 3mm suit is ideal for that area. Good thermal thermal protection, and skin protection.

I was in Coz and Playa around this time last year and used a 3mil shorty. I was very comfortble. Have fun on your trip!

Probably 3 mm will be ok for salt water, buy i think it's not enough for cenotes. I would go with 5 mm.

Regards.

Rx

Agree that you probably want a bit more for cenotes, especially if you're reasonably good on air and might end up with a couple of long dives in a row. Some of the cenote guides wear hoods, but they're in the water every day. I got 24C/75F during my last dive there, and don't imagine it changes all that much underground.

On a boat, depending on time of year, a 3 mm shorty could be slightly cool after a long SI, with the strong winds you can get there. Don't know specifically about November though.

Any cold water divers ever try bring their hood down south with them, especially if you're using thin rentals for multiple days of diving?

HI Mr Shooter,

Congrats on your new certification!

Been to Cozumel multiple trips and the 3 mil will be fine. I have NOT dove the Cenotes but my recommendation (assuming you don't want to take two wetsuits with you) is just bring a lightweight hood with you....3 mil hyperstretch will be fine.

You will be AMAZED at what a difference even a light weight hood will make with your thermal protection!! I just started using one after 30 years in rec diving and kicking myself for not getting one long ago. I recently did the Oriskany, which was around 76F at the bottom,and was very comfortable in my 3/2 full with a 3 mil hood.

Enjoy your trip....the diving is spectacular.

I'm also a Northwest diver. I used a Bare 3/2 mm suit in that area earlier this year. (3mm trunk, 2mm limbs.) I decided I did not want a shorty just in case another diver body slammed me into some fire coral.

The sea was 80F+ and in the cenotes it was 75F... I didn't need a hood.

Bare Velocity 3/2 Full Mens Wetsuit, Wetsuits: Men, Bare, Bare Velocity 3/2 Full Mens Wetsuit

Unfortunately the suit I got isn't available anymore. I was very happy with it.

YMMV. Have fun.

Back
Top Bottom