Exposure protection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LI Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey guy's I will be diving out of Tavernier at the end of this week and beginning of next and was wondering if you guy's had an opinion on wetsuit needs. I currently have a 3mm long sleeved shorty and a 5mm full. We will be staying shallow. I know everyone is different temp wise but would like to hear opinions.
Thanks, Ed:D

PS I know the it's better to be warm you can always let some water in the suit theory but is there any negative side to the having to use the extra lead needed for the thicker suit? The suits are hyperstretch so flexibility may not be an issue.

If you don't mind having a few extra LBS of weight... then I don't see a problem.

If you're diving several days, you'll probably prefer the 5mm suit to a shorty. You wouldn't want to be cold, as you'll burn through your tank faster if you are.

Thanks Howarde other than topside does the weight make a difference??

es601:
Nothing IMO...For a boat dive... it's a pretty short walk from the seat to the water.

Some people don't like wearing weight belts.

es601:

In theory, the extra weight affects your trim underwater, although spreading it around can soften this. Also, the extra rubber will compress more, requiring more compensation in your bcd, which can aggravate buoyancy problems. Practically speaking, we're only talking about a 5mm, and a hyperstretch at that. Water temps will be around 76 degrees F. If it were me, I'd be in the 5mil.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom