Exposure Compensation in RAW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iainwilliams

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Just a quick question about the Exposure Compensation process of RAW images to JPEGS.

I always thought you could, if you use RAW, alter the F-stop and exposure by one stop either way of what the image was taken at. Maybe I am wrong here?

If you can alter the exposure, is there an switch to do this, or do you do it via levels? Perhaps I need some special software?

I’m using a Canon G5 camera and Adobe Elements and the standard Canon File Utility programme

Thanks for any help…..Iain

I am not familiar with the canon software but usually the manufacturer supplies a "lite" version of the RAW converter is all but usless in terms of being able to adjust much of anything in the conversion process.

The RAW converter in Photoshop CS allows -2 to +4 stop adjustments.

Chris Bangs:
I am not familiar with the canon software but usually the manufacturer supplies a "lite" version of the RAW converter is all but usless in terms of being able to adjust much of anything in the conversion process.

The RAW converter in Photoshop CS allows -2 to +4 stop adjustments.

Chris - Thanks for the reply. At the moment I'm using Elements 1. I

Is PhotoShop CS with the latest RAW converter plug in much better in your opinion?

CS is kind of expensive, but if the results speak for themselves then I guess the programme maybe worth shelling out the extra clams. Thanks..........Iain

iainwilliams:

Is PhotoShop CS with the latest RAW converter plug in much better in your opinion?

CS is kind of expensive, but if the results speak for themselves then I guess the programme maybe worth shelling out the extra clams. Thanks..........Iain

Photoshop CS is very powerful program for photo manipulation. You need to commit time to learn and experiment with it in order to get the most of it. It may overwhelm you in the beginning.

The last version of Jasc Paint Shop Pro 9 can read the RAW of Canon. I have the Canon Powershot G5 and work with it.

The exposure adjustment, white balance, sharpening etc. seams from what I read around the web not good as the Photoshop CS RAW Converter but for me works good enough. The PS CS is too expensive and then to difficult to use it for the work I do.

Ciao

iainwilliams:

Yes, CS is worth it if you are going to shoot RAW and/or shoot a lot.

Yes, CS is mind-blowing in what it can do...and in how long it takes to learn :wink:

I am a total beginner but loving every minute of it!

Back
Top Bottom