Exploding scuba tank kills two tourists (sep 24, 2010)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s

Contributor
Reaction score
just curious if anyone knows more details on the tank here that "exploded"?

Note this is Accidents and Incidents forum.... so let's keep jokes aside.

from Exploding scuba tank kills two tourists | The Daily Telegraph

Exploding scuba tank kills two tourists
* September 24, 2010 5:04AM

AN exploding scuba diving tank killed two Polish tourists and seriously injured two others overnight on a Croatian island, officials said.

The first victim on the southern island of Vis was a 48-year-old Polish woman who died on the spot, a police spokeswoman said.

"The diving tank exploded while it was being unloaded from a boat on the coast in the port of Komiza," the transport and sea ministry said.

The cause of the blast was most likely a valve that popped out, it said.

Three other injured tourists - two men and a woman - were immediately transported to a hospital in the coastal town of Split on the mainland.

One of them, a 43-year-old man who sustained a head injury, died in the hospital overnight, its surgical department said.

The victims were in a group of 12 Polish tourists who arrived in Komiza to go scuba diving, the ministry said.

Croatia, which has a population of 4.4 million, attracts more than 10 million tourists each year, who mainly visit the country's Adriatic coast.

If the valve broke, that would not cause it to explode rather fly around as deepstops said.
Are there any more info about the incident and any pictures of the tank?

Given the level of ignorance most people have about diving and that news organizations typically re-write facts to make things more interesting I would guess that deepstops is 100% correct and the paper is wrong(again)...but hey, an exploding tank, that sounds cool. I am surprised the paper didn't put in a 'Jaws' reference.

It could be the effect of galvanic corrosion between the brass valve and the ali/steel cylinder. I have seen examples where this corrosion has reduced the cylinder threads to insufficient size to securely hold the valve in place.

Question!

Would that not work more like a reliefvalve and make the valve pop off and the tank fly around? And most likely killing due to the heavy impact? I am just trying to understand this. Aluminum would deform and steel would be like shrapnel to my knowledge.

It could be the effect of galvanic corrosion between the brass valve and the ali/steel cylinder. I have seen examples where this corrosion has reduced the cylinder threads to insufficient size to securely hold the valve in place.

Given the level of ignorance most people have about diving and that news organizations typically re-write facts to make things more interesting I would guess that deepstops is 100% correct and the paper is wrong(again)...but hey, an exploding tank, that sounds cool. I am surprised the paper didn't put in a 'Jaws' reference.

...or a reference to an exploding 'oxygen' tank....

Question!

Would that not work more like a reliefvalve and make the valve pop off and the tank fly around? And most likely killing due to the heavy impact? I am just trying to understand this. Aluminum would deform and steel would be like shrapnel to my knowledge.

3000psi would make the valve 'pop off' with sufficient kinetic energy to kill anyone stood nearby. It's not a champagne bottle :wink:

Corroded Valve Thread:
thread_cav.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom