Explain the purpose of the water bucket on board for cameras please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't put my stuff in the rinse tank because what salt crystals are going to form in an hour??

Yes, they can. But if you use it as a "rinse" tank, crystals are not going to form at all. The problem is too many people use it as a soaking tank or as camera storage. A quick dip is all you need. This also gets rid of sand patricles too.

Yes, they can. But if you use it as a "rinse" tank, crystals are not going to form at all. The problem is too many people use it as a soaking tank or as camera storage. A quick dip is all you need. This also gets rid of sand patricles too.

I ask you. What sand and/or salt is going to accumulate in the time between dives or the time it takes the boat to return to the dock?

If you're on a 6 hour boat ride back to shore, then you should do a full washdown. A quick dip in a bucket isn't going to make that big a difference. YMMV.

The main reason why I rinse the camera with fresh water is actually for the lenses that are more susceptible to water marks
Also I don't like the idea of wrapping around a towel with a camera wet of saltwater or dust that can later on scratch
With regards to salt crystals a surface interval will build no crystal as the time you back in the water they will be gone

I have heard that cameras in the rinse bucket are subject to damage from banging into each other. Many people who write the books on underwater photography claim that many set ups are damaged in that situation and to never ever leave a camera in the rinse tank. I suppose that they might know more about this than I do.

Dunking the camera in fresh water a few time will greatly dilute the salt water on the housing and probably reduce the crystal build up to near 0 (I have extensive lab experience with the effects of dilution to back this up). Of course, when you get to shore, the first thing you want to do is dunk your housing in fresh water again being thorough will not hurt. You can then put the camera in secure and shady spot covered by a towel which can be damp. I have not been out on really long boat rides (about an hour is as long as I have done). This method seems to work for that distance.

We recommend people do a quick 30 second rinse immediately after each dive, and not leave the housing in longer than that. Keep those ports covered and enjoy the summer diving! - Scott

too much bacteria from spit and snot for me, Ill carry an extra bottle of clean water for rinseing.

The bacteria level in that tank doesn't even come close to the amount in seawater.... You're kidding yourself here. If it makes you feel better, then so be it, but the reality if the situation is contrary to that.

-Charles

The bacteria level in that tank doesn't even come close to the amount in seawater.... You're kidding yourself here. If it makes you feel better, then so be it, but the reality if the situation is contrary to that.

-Charles
yes it makes me feel alot better Charlie not to be swappin spit in the community bucket of water. If you have scientific proof that says otherwise Id like to see it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom