Experiences with Pattaya DCs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Assuming one had to take deep/nitrox courses in Pattaya, who would you recommend using or recommend staying away from?

Read above from the OP. Last time I looked that was the question that required answering.

Lk my own experiences and knowledge are quite sufficient to know that there are some good operators in Pattaya thanks.

Id also point out my ability to read means I never have to double post and posses the skills to reply to multiple people in one go.:D

Donald may I suggest that you PM the following members that have contacts in Pattaya and will give you unbiased straight up answers Jamie is currently away playing with sunken ships.

Ringo (Based in Phuket)
Limbos (Based In Samui)

Also PM Penquin Tom as Im sure he will also give you a fair answer to.

Have Fun and please post your experiences when finished .

Must say that's great advice. Ask people based in Phuket and Samui about Pattaya diving, and ignore those that are involved and there all the time.

Best advice I received here was the ignore function...squawk away in future.

There are people other than the mighty LK that have a valued opinion, and have experience in the area in question.

A true rounded diver has experience in many areas, do you not ever give opinions on diving outside Pattaya ? If im not mistaken your spitting your negativity about other areas in another thread. So are we to ignore that as you DONT live there.

Have fun .

Best advice I received here was the ignore function...squawk away in future.

There are people other than the mighty LK that have a valued opinion, and have experience in the area in question.

A true rounded diver has experience in many areas, do you not ever give opinions on diving outside Pattaya ? If im not mistaken your spitting your negativity about other areas in another thread. So are we to ignore that as you DONT live there.

Have fun .

I seem to remember this thread was about someone elses complaints. Not mine.
And yes, my opinion on another thread may be negative, but opinions were asked for. And as described there I do not approve of such things. But I am afraid that is the whole idea of a discussion forum, people expressing their beliefs and opinions, and yes even those that differ from yours.

I dive w/ Real Divers many times a year. Like any shop they can do a poor job w/ a student, part of that is instructor/student chemistry. Part is professionalism. A year ago I would have given them an unqualified recommendation, but they are currently undergoing some organizational issues. That said if you ask for James or Howard you should get a well taught course. Feel free to PM me if you want. I have no commercial interest in that dive op or any other. Nor do I have an axe to grind w/ any other dive op in Pattaya. Many of the shops club together in the same boats, I've seen most of the ops either in the water or been on a boat w/ them. None of them really stand out as great operators, some are good and some are bad and a few are awful.

Assuming one had to take deep/nitrox courses in Pattaya, who would you recommend using or recommend staying away from?

Read above from the OP. Last time I looked that was the question that required answering.

Lk my own experiences and knowledge are quite sufficient to know that there are some good operators in Pattaya thanks.

Id also point out my ability to read means I never have to double post and posses the skills to reply to multiple people in one go.:D

Donald may I suggest that you PM the following members that have contacts in Pattaya and will give you unbiased straight up answers Jamie is currently away playing with sunken ships.

Ringo (Based in Phuket)
Limbos (Based In Samui)

Also PM Penquin Tom as Im sure he will also give you a fair answer to.

Have Fun and please post your experiences when finished .

No need to PM me I have given (as requested) a full and frank account of my experiences already. Yes admitted I did not try all the shops, but from 5 out of 5 being treated poorly in one way or another, I dont think that would encourage even the most enthusiastic of divers to continue throwing money and time away, particularly when the diving conditions in the area are really not too good.
You may not like lord khram as you mention, I know he can be a bit abrasive and rant on at times. But a lot of his posts I have read really seem to be quite true given my recent experiences.
If you know of a particular good shop in Pattaya I would be very pleased to know for future reference as I visit the area quite frequently.

I have been diving Pattaya fairly regularly for the past 4 years. It is my primary teaching and fun diving area as I live in BKK. You certainly can get quality instruction. The conditions make teaching and learning more of challenge but I believe this is an advantage as it helps in developing more well rounded and confident students.

Thailand has many choices. Seasons, budget and travel plans may limit you of course but don't discount Pattaya. If you are looking for deep/wrecks within recreational limits Pattaya is your best choice IMO.

I tend to dive with two dive centers. Each for different reasons. If you want particulars PM. I have been very impressed with the Course Directors at one particular shop. Sorry some had bad experiences, but that has not been the case for me and I am sure for many others.

I can probably articulate a little better what I am NOT looking for:

1. lots of people doing their OW dives. Just because it may (i said may) limit where we dive - especially in Pattaya.
2. lots of people doing their DM and instructor training with me paying to be their training customer. Don't get me wrong, it's not the end of the world, but it means I won't get any consistency and my DM is actually a customer too, so may not be totally into customer service.

I've heard that mermaids runs an AOW and above boat but haven't tried it.

As far as the instruction, the only things that matters is the instructor so that may be hit and miss till you find one.

There's a lot of contention on here and seems like no one wants to say anything negative about any specific shops, which is fair enough, but there should be no reason not to say good things about a shop, DM or instructor, no? I'm finishing up my deep with someone apex recommended and so far, he's great; I will write up the good/great things about him once I complete the course.

I can probably articulate a little better what I am NOT looking for:

1. lots of people doing their OW dives. Just because it may (i said may) limit where we dive - especially in Pattaya.
2. lots of people doing their DM and instructor training with me paying to be their training customer. Don't get me wrong, it's not the end of the world, but it means I won't get any consistency and my DM is actually a customer too, so may not be totally into customer service.

I've heard that mermaids runs an AOW and above boat but haven't tried it.

As far as the instruction, the only things that matters is the instructor so that may be hit and miss till you find one.

There's a lot of contention on here and seems like no one wants to say anything negative about any specific shops, which is fair enough, but there should be no reason not to say good things about a shop, DM or instructor, no? I'm finishing up my deep with someone apex recommended and so far, he's great; I will write up the good/great things about him once I complete the course.

Sounds to me like Adventure divers would fit your requirements, generally speaking not a busy shop, so you will be in a small group or even 1-1, excellent boat, probably the best dive boat in Pattaya. Dont think they use interns to 'look after' customers.
Dont expect miracles anywhere in pattaya because the diving its self is not that brilliant, But in my mind these guys are by far the best of a bad lot.
There shop is situated on the main road travelling from Pattaya towards jomtien on Tapraya rd they are on the left side. website Scuba Diving Pattaya, Thailand - Adventure Divers Pattaya
In my mind you are right to avoid shops that use interns as 'paying' labour - most of them just dont care about the customers and are only interested in having a good time themselves. And the shop owners care about customers even less, or they would pay and employ some experienced proffesional staff.
Hope you find what you are looking for, but believe me, pick your Pattaya DC with good care, most will promisse you the world and actually deliver very little.

I agree Donalbain entirely, this system of having IDC students take care of other customers is really not on, they are simply not interested in the customers they should be looking after. I have recently had some bad experiences as such, and now I am a little wiser as to what is going on, would not use such a DC again.
I have no desire as a customer, to be used by a shop as training fodder for their other customers.

I see above a half recomendation for adventure divers in Pattaya, does anyone have any further input on these guys?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom