Experienced diver? Maybe not.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some of these poodle jacketers or hog loopers that have been at it for just a few years and supposedly racked up hundreds or a few thousand dives and suddenly know it all, I wouldn't be so sure. Read between the lines.

Well, yeah, there are plenty of "experienced" divers of all sorts on scubieboard and quite a few who, uh, exaggerate. I often exaggerate for effect because I am a teller of tall tales. Like when my scooter exploded in the Y pool, I mean it was not really a mushroom cloud, or when I was banned from Florida, twice:cool2:, I mean, I am not sure Flariduh is keeping an actual record or like that:eyebrow: But, between pestering you guys, I actually can and do and have. :) sorta.

But, I will hire a guide in a new to me place if I cannot find a free local, did it not long ago, I will ask questions and look stupid asking dumb questions because part of being experienced is knowing that we have limits. My wife points it out to me all the time. :rofl3:

Of course, then, standing there on the beach, the reef was two miles out there, I was alone. I brag about no BC. I said, nah, maybe tomorrow, I chickened out. Then I tossed and turned all night dreaming, fake, fake, fake. I got up early, marched to the water's edge and started swimming. I don't need no stink'n BC, I am Nemrod :eyebrow: I will die with my Jets on at least. Safety is way over rated.

N

Well, I guess in the sense that Rock A and Rock B might be in different spots or I might not see the same fish each time - no, I suspect no one has. That's not really what I meant though.

There are divers that have a few hundred/thousand dives logged and have never been in more than 60' of water. I wouldn't call them inexperienced by any stretch. But I also wouldn't call them experienced when it comes to other types of diving/diving environments. Maybe what I should have said is that there's "experience" and then there's "well-rounded".

This is what I was trying to say, only in a better way. I feel I need to become a more "well rounded" diver. When I drop into the water in rivers and lakes, I am completely relaxed and confident in my ability to handle pretty much anything that happens. I know my personal limitations and dive within those limitations. I suppose diving alone for so long has made me cautious by nature, even when diving with a buddy. If I don't think it's safe, I don't do it, regardless of what others might think or say.

But I need to expand my horizons. I would like to try wreck diving in Lake Erie or off the Carolina coast or cavern diving in Florida. (No cave diving, thank you. I still have nightmares.) I would like to see if I am still as susceptible to nitrogen narcosis as I was thirty years ago, but only in the company of someone in whom I could trust to give me a hand in case I still am. I would like to try deco diving as this is something else I've never done. There is just so much I have yet to do and learn that I hadn't considered until I began reading of the experiences of other SB members. That's when I realized just how limited my experiences have been.

Herman: I, too, would like to dive off NC with you sometime. It sounds like an adventure.

This is what I was trying to say, only in a better way. I feel I need to become a more "well rounded" diver. When I drop into the water in rivers and lakes, I am completely relaxed and confident in my ability to handle pretty much anything that happens. I know my personal limitations and dive within those limitations. I suppose diving alone for so long has made me cautious by nature, even when diving with a buddy. If I don't think it's safe, I don't do it, regardless of what others might think or say.

But I need to expand my horizons. I would like to try wreck diving in Lake Erie or off the Carolina coast or cavern diving in Florida. (No cave diving, thank you. I still have nightmares.) I would like to see if I am still as susceptible to nitrogen narcosis as I was thirty years ago, but only in the company of someone in whom I could trust to give me a hand in case I still am. I would like to try deco diving as this is something else I've never done. There is just so much I have yet to do and learn that I hadn't considered until I began reading of the experiences of other SB members. That's when I realized just how limited my experiences have been.

Herman: I, too, would like to dive off NC with you sometime. It sounds like an adventure.

Well, come on out to the rugged Northern California coastline and I'll be glad to show you around.
Offer's always open.

Hey buddy come here to New England I'll show you around the North East Atlantic you wouldn't be disappointed.

Back
Top Bottom