Exhibit or Aquarium Diver Specialty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are not disagreeing. I am just not comfortable in my knowledge of what is qualified, and what is not, and this is my process of figuring that out.

The more I learn of the AAUS program the less intimdating it sounds. Speaking only for myself I would embrace the opportunity.

I am aware that we are not disagreeing. The problem is that some of the folks who hold forth as authorities on AAUS don't really understand it and lack confidence in their own abilities to take charge of their programs in the way in which AAUS was designed to have them do, they want hand holding and black and white rules, while AAUS was designed to have a great deal of respect for the institution, it's culture, it's DCB and it's DSO, this flies in the face of what some are used to, centralized PADI rules in the recreational world or a military type hierarchy in NOAA. Always remember ... if the question is carefully considered by the DCB and is not explicitly contradicted by AAUS's RECOMMENDED standards, the institution is sovereign.

Similar to the program I am in now. We have a DSO and dive committee made up of staff and volunteers that meet monthly. Testing is required to get in and we have training and retraining about emergency extraction etc. specific to our facility.

No certification though. That might be down the road as a lot of changes are taking place, but at the moment nothing like that.

I think you may be stuck in the PADI mentality of having to have a plastic credit card with your picture on it to be certified. Up until about two years ago (that would be about 57 years of tridition) the AAUS did not issue any type of card or certificate. It was, as Thal stated, a recognition by your organization, that you are qualified to dive to XXX depth, using XXXXXX method, etc. And to move between organizations one would carry a letter of resiprocity from the home org. to the org. you wanted to dive with. Basically a letter of introduction from your DSO that you normally work under (i.e. the Aquarium) to the DSO of the group you want to do a project with (i.e. NOAA).

Doc, I am one of the Volunteer divers at the Aquarium.

I enjoy volunteering, that's my hook. But I do like the idea of being offered the opportunity to participate in a Scientific Diving Course that meets AAUS standards. I have my physical, my first aid and CPR, and am a Master Diver. I would be more than happy to take whatever steps necessary beyond that to meet AAUS requirements.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom