Exciting shallow dive!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skookumchuck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I did'nt find anyone that wanted to join me for a dive this past weekend on Galiano Island so I decided to go solo con Dios. Saturdays dive was on Madrona Wall on a perfect slack. Very nice dive with O.K. viz, mayby 15-20 feet. Lots of life on the wall, cabezons, scallops, feather duster worms, tons of sponges, and empty urchin shells on the ledge at 60 feet but no sign of what ate them. On Sunday I drove north to a small cove with beach access across from Bodega Ridge Cabins. When I checked my computer during decent I found it was telling what time it was instead of what I needed to know, it got the time wrong too, so I decided to stay shallow and explore the top of the wall around 20 feet deep. With 1500 psi left I surfaced in the middle of the bay to find my three kids standing on the shore yelling something I couldn't hear and pointing out past me. When I turn to see what I figured would be a seal or sea lion my heart was jump-started by the enourmous dorsal fin of an Orca no more than 50 meters away from me. I watched three smaller fins break the surface just before the adrenaline dump launched me shoreward. While my heart slowed down to a safer pace we watched as sixteen whales moved past in three groups. My kids told me that two of the first group turned back and entered the bay behind me as I proved split fins are capable of generating great bursts of speed. Never again will I refer to shallow diving as boring.

Wow - nuff said.

Wow is right!

Sure wish you had your cell on, would have love to see that. Makes my dive with some ducks at lookout point seem pretty lame.

By the way what were your kids thinking???

Probably something like "Oh ****, daddy's chum!"

:D

The funny part is they knew you were there long before you ever surfaced and probably came for a swim-by or two to check you out. I don't know how many times I've heard "did you see the shark" only to respond..."what shark?" To which they reply...the one that swam right behind you at the safety stop. "Silent World" comes to mind.

Back
Top Bottom