Excited to be here! So much to learn

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glenn Kopp

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just received my OW certification in a cold New Hampshire lake on July 1. Can't wait to dive in the warm Caribbean waters of Roatan on August 1st.

Glad to find this group. So much to learn from you all.

Glenn Kopp
Peterborough, NH

Congratulation on your new adventure. Welcome to SB. A great place to be and enjoy scuba while on your surface intervals as well all other times. Don't discount diving in NH or the Northeast.

Congratulation on your new adventure. Welcome to SB. A great place to be and enjoy scuba while on your surface intervals as well all other times. Don't discount diving in NH or the Northeast.

Thank you, Compressor. I will definitely dive in the Northeast. I've sent in my membership for United Divers of NH, and plan to get out to the Isle of Shoals later in August.

Thank you, Compressor. I will definitely dive in the Northeast. I've sent in my membership for United Divers of NH, and plan to get out to the Isle of Shoals later in August.
Great. It's exciting and wonderful.

Congrat.s on the cert.! Where are you staying in Roatan? I ask because I'm told north vs. south the underwater experience is a bit different, and CocoView Resort has a shore dive but a number of places don't.

If you read the trip reports for Roatan, you'll see a lot of warning about 'sand fleas' and the need to use bug repellent, while being mindful DEET can dissolve plastic so be cautious with strong DEET products around dive gear that might be affected.

Richard.

Congrat.s on the cert.! Where are you staying in Roatan? I ask because I'm told north vs. south the underwater experience is a bit different, and CocoView Resort has a shore dive but a number of places don't.

If you read the trip reports for Roatan, you'll see a lot of warning about 'sand fleas' and the need to use bug repellent, while being mindful DEET can dissolve plastic so be cautious with strong DEET products around dive gear that might be affected.

Richard.

Thank you, Drrich! I'll be staying at Bananarama on West Bay. I'll be able to do my Advanced Open Water and Nitrox while I'm there. I know there is good snorkeling from the beach. Not sure about shore dives, but I can do two boat dives each day, which will be plenty for me.

Thanks for the info on DEET. I'll try to get by with the non-toxic, reef-safe Cactus Juice if I can. I'll use DEET sparingly, if needed, and keep it away from my equipment.

I'll be staying at Bananarama on West Bay. I'll be able to do my Advanced Open Water and Nitrox while I'm there. I know there is good snorkeling from the beach. Not sure about shore dives, but I can do two boat dives each day, which will be plenty for me.

West Bay is a great choice; the beach there is gorgeous and you will be accessibly located topside.

The best snorkeling in West Bay is generally going to be down at the Iron Shore near the southwestern point. You can also shore dive in West Bay as well, but there can be some boat/water taxi traffic depending on your route in/out, so you need to know what you are doing. Unless you are diving with other more experienced divers that are familiar with the local conditions, you should stick to guided boat dives.

Bienvenido!

Last edited:
West Bay is a good choice; the beach there is gorgeous and centrally located topside.

The best snorkeling in West Bay is generally going to be down at the Iron Shore near the southwestern point. You can also shore dive in West Bay as well, but there can be some boat/water taxi traffic depending on your route in/out, so you need to know what you are doing. Unless you are diving with other more experienced divers that are familiar with the local conditions, you should probably stick to guided boat dives.

Bienvenido!

Good point about the boat traffic. This is all very new to me, so I will be staying close to the guide/instructor.

Thank you!

I agree with what Carlos says about West Bay, very nice area. Are you getting a package deal to get Nitrox certified? The reason I ask is that most people new to diving do not benefit from the longer bottom times that nitrox allows because their air consumption is high. You can get nitrox certified at home, no dives required with many agencies.

I agree with what Carlos says about West Bay, very nice area. Are you getting a package deal to get Nitrox certified? The reason I ask is that most people new to diving do not benefit from the longer bottom times that nitrox allows because their air consumption is high. You can get nitrox certified at home, no dives required with many agencies.

I don't expect to be doing any diving that requires Nitrox while I'm there. On their website, Advanced « Bananarama Dive & Beach Resort, Roatan , they mention combining Nitrox and Advanced. I wasn't sure if that's how most people do it, or if there is a savings by combining them. If not, I am happy to do the Nitrox course at home. I have a great local shop and instructor, and I am happy to give them my business.

Thank you

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom