ewa underwater housings- yea or nay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iccohen

Reaction score
Hello-

I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on the ewa underwater housings for digital cameras. I already have a digital camera (Fuji 2650), which, of course, is one of the few cameras in the world without a hard casing for underwater use.

If I already have a digital camera, I thought it was silly (and expensive) to buy another one just so I could use it underwater (because there is a housing available).

I heard about the ewa, but haven't seen any feedback. Anyone? Hello? Bueller?

Thanks,

-Steve

iccohen:
Hello-

I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on the ewa underwater housings for digital cameras. I already have a digital camera (Fuji 2650), which, of course, is one of the few cameras in the world without a hard casing for underwater use.

If I already have a digital camera, I thought it was silly (and expensive) to buy another one just so I could use it underwater (because there is a housing available).

Thanks,

-Steve
I have no personal experience with them, but I've read that they're only rated for about 30' after which the pressure won't let you use the controls.

my .02

Steve

Nay! If the plastic big doesn't leak, the pressure will press the bag against the camera buttons, making your camera almost useless. If they make one for your specific model of camera, it would be good as weatherproofing for your camera to go out in the rain or maybe take it out on a boat, etc. I suppose it would be OK for snorkeling and depths down to 8-10 ft but I definately wouldn't take it below that.

iccohen:
Hello-

Thanks,

-Steve

Go for it! Its only a 2 mp camera anyway! Not worth building a housing for it. A new Ewa bag is still too expensive for that camera, find a used Ewa on Ebay. $10 maybe.

I've responded to this question quite a few times. I seem to be the only person that's actually used one ( The deepest I took my SLR EWA-MARINE housing was 80 feet, but you'll have to check the depth rating on yours. Mine was rated to 30 meters). The summary of my previous posts is: Go ahead if you're cheap (like me), but I wouldn't put a $10,000 camera in one (If you're cheap, you probably don't have many of these).

Back
Top Bottom