Evolution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caveseeker7:
Maybe you can get us some additional info and a picture or two of it. I'm curious how the controller was implemented, the only pictures available are the ones of the KISS prototype.

Roger That - I'll get some piccies and post them up when he is back.

Stuart

Camerone thanks for the detailed reply. It sounds like the Evolution is a real improvement on the old Inspiration. Did Cliff say anything about when they expect volume shipments to occur. Every time I have spoken with AP they quote "in three months", that was last spring!

johnman252:
CamIt sounds like the Evolution is a real improvement on the old Inspiration. Did Cliff say anything about when they expect volume shipments to occur. Every time I have spoken with AP they quote "in three months", that was last spring!

I think the changes are for the better, although there's no question as to it's heritage. There are still a few other changes I would've liked, but I can certainly live with the unit as-is and dive it happily. I think that's just the peril of being an engineer - it's never _exactly_ what you want :)

I'm not sure on the production quantity; Cliff gave me the "three month" backlog answer when I asked about availability, although he was optimistic that he'd have a container-full when he returned to New Hampshire after the Socorros. I've not spoken with him since.

These units that we dove were still "prototypes," although fit and finish looked final to me. I didn't find any bugs or issues, really, but then again, I was out for a splash, not a "test dive," so to speak.

Here's hoping they ramp up fast...

watergirl238:
There's a recently updated unofficial site on the Optima at http://www.diveriteexpress.com/rebreathers/optima.shtml
Hi watergirl, we're sitting here wondering when you gonna run out of threads where you can post that sentence and link. :wink:

Do you hold stock in DiveRite?
If so how about some real info, the link doesn't really tell us anything new of importance.

Differences to prototype shown at DEMA?
Weight and size measurements?
Test protocoll and results?
Which agency have picked it up?
Actual availability in US, European and Australian markets?
Actual price?

question
Camerone:
I'm back - the trip was nice, although I didn't get as much diving in as I planned. Someone brought the flu on board, and it knocked out 75% of the boat, including crew, for about three days. I lost three days in the middle...although I got to dive either end.

Giant Manta Rays are cool...they're cooler when they show up 45 minutes into the dive, there's no bubble blowing types in the water, and they circle around, letting you scratch their undersides repeatedly.

The purpose of my trip, as I mentioned, was to pick up the Inspiration c-card and training. I did that, diving a rental Inspiration that someone had screwed up with a SS backplate and nightmare-esque harness. I also managed to log about an hour of Evolution bottom time during the trip, on one of two prototypes that Cliff, of Silent Diving Systems, brought down.

Prior to departing, I was heavily leaning towards the Inspiration - after all, with the vision electronics package, it's the same price as the Evolution, and you get more; there's more gas and a larger scrubber.

After diving the Evolution, I'm placing my order for one of them instead.

Turns out, after diving the unit, I'm just very, very impressed. The improvements to the head are very nice. The wiring is now protected by a plastic spyder, the battery holder is now sealed with an o-ring, the head now has t-bolts that lock it into place on the canister (instead of the four knurled screws that are all too easy to lose overboard), the electronics are all potted in a block inside the head. and the whole thing feels a lot more solid.

The harness is very comfortable; it's very similar to the Inspiration harness. They're offering the counterlungs in AP-Valves yellow and also in grey, although I've been told that for the right fee, they'll do them in whatever color you want. The D-rings were well placed, the fit was excellent, and, all in all, the unit felt more like a part of me than something strapped on to me.

I'm a smaller guy (5' 8") and the unit fits me really well...better than the Inspiration with the same size harness and lungs. It's also only 44 pounds in weight, charged up and ready to dive, which means that I can travel with it on the airlines without having to pay excess baggage fees. It's also slimmer and more compact than my Drager Dolphin, which is exciting... I wasn't looking forward to the bulk of the Inspiration.

With regards to the scrubber; SDS rates it at two hours. Realistically, we were getting around five hours out of in with light workloads. (We had no current, although the surge was, um, challenging, at times...) The scrubber life gauge really does work, as far as I can tell. I'm impressed... when I dumped scrubber, what it said had "expired" was purple, and what was still good was white - we were using sodalime with the color dye in it, and it seemed to mesh very well with the gauge. SDS's position with the scrubber gauge is, "under no circumstances should you violate your instruments..." implying that the "two hour" rating is probably a bit conservative... and that's what we were seeing.

The single handset with dual displays was really easy to read and has some marked improvements over the old dual handset controllers. I didn't play a lot with the built in computer - a lot of people were diving the unit, so it was complaining about missed deco stops... if you look at the photos I attached, you'll see I've got a VR3 that I'm using to monitor my bottom time...

Internally, the case is nicely redesigned. The bottles "snap" into place, the scrubber locks down better, and the back of the case is now hinged by two straps, so parts aren't flying everywhere as you break down or set up the unit. Very cool. There's also enough empty space around the canister that you could mount a canister divelight (thin, NiMH pack) inside, and just run the head/handle over your shoulder, if you really wanted. Cliff mentioned that they're offering clamps for the scrubber canister that will do just that...

My only complaints about the unit:

The handset itself didn't really fit smoothly on my arm. It's probably me, and my VR3 has the same problem, anyway...my forearms are small, and it's a big, flat box. Still, it's got a pair of straps and always felt secure and positioned like I could read it.

Handset buttons were VERY difficult to press. The unit now auto-switches for you from low to high setpoints and back. You can, of course, override it. I was coming up and wanted to drop down to the low set point earlier than the unit would switch, and it seemed like it took a LOT of pressure to do it.

I didn't find the "dive computer" part of the handset particularly intuitive, but I also didn't read the manual. I'm a big VR3 fan, so that may have something to do with it. On the other hand, the displays for the rebreather, itself, were far, far improved over the dual handset version. Scrubber is easy to monitor, and it's obvious what the two controllers are reading for pO2. The battery meter is a nice touch, and it's also cool that it tells you which battery is being used as the primary. (Did I mention that there's no longer a need to mark batteries "master" and "slave"? It's smart enough to use the stronger battery for the master and keep them balanced...)

Lastly, the HUD wasn't what I expected. I'm sure it's nice, and I'm just not used to it. It was easy to read the LED colors when diving, and non-obtrusive in my field of view. I just prefer to rely on the handset, and didn't really see the need for the HUD at all...more of a distraction than anything else. On the other hand, if I'd built more time on that unit, I might feel differently.

All in all, I'm very impressed with the unit. I can't believe I'd get "less" at the same price, but the convenience and size swayed me. Four to five hours of bottom time on a scrubber is plenty; it's not often I push that in a single day, and so my sorb costs will be lower with the smaller volume. On a CCR, the 6cf difference in dil and O2 cylinders isn't really that significant, either.

I'm a happy camper... attached are two photos of me on the unit (thanks to Jeff Bozanic for snapping them.) On one, a buddy is fiddling with a small bubble problem on my T connection, on the other, it's a back shot of the unit...

I have 1 question about your unit? What happens if you get a hose blowout? Does the air get trapped under that shell and take you to the surface like a polaris missle? Ted

diver teddy:
I have 1 question about your unit? What happens if you get a hose blowout? Does the air get trapped under that shell and take you to the surface like a polaris missle? Ted

Part of the standard checks on the unit is a measurement of the interstage pressure on the regulators. Doing so greatly reduces your chance of a hose blowout, and I've never seen one happen. I've only actually heard of one person who had it happen with open circuit gear, and he was one of those guys who never took care of his gear.

If you ever see an Inspiration or Evolution up close, there are a set of holes in the shell casing where the hoses and control lines route through, at the top, as well as generously oversized holes on either side where the valves route through the shell. It's not a tight seal, either, on the unit.

I would assume, in your far fetched scenario, that a vertical posture while reaching back to close off the gas supply would be enough to prevent any serious buoyancy issues.

I've heard rumors of one guy who dives an Inspiration sans yellow case, but pretty much everyone in the conversation at the time, who were significantly more experienced than I with the unit, thought him rather silly for it. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom