Evidence search

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greg D.

Contributor
Reaction score
Spent all last saturday searching for the murder weapons in a homicide in Idaho. If you haven't hear the story here is an article about it,
http://www.bulletinpress.com/BulletinPress.aspx?snum=3899

They spike stripped the guys before the bridge and as the trooper was following on of the guys tossed two Items out the window hmm wonder what he was trying to get rid of?

We staged a mock throw with two weapons to get a last seen point. the trooper gave us a approximate throw location we had 14 divers 4 from Seattle PD 6 local 3 from okanogan SAR and one from Kittatas county, we made 5 dives all together (teams of four) and found both of our guns, and one other, not the one we were looking for though, it had been there awhile. They think it was from a homicide at the Gorge ampetheatre 2 years ago. The depth was 90-75 ft hence the few number of dives, not to mention the guys from Seattle have a pass to go over on their way home.

But anyway we will be back down at the river Saturday not sure of how many divers we will have this time but should be a fun dive.

Gregoire:
But anyway we will be back down at the river Saturday not sure of how many divers we will have this time but should be a fun dive.
I'll be there, see you then! :D

Where are you coming from?...... Over the pass maybe?

Kuel.

Did they ever convict anyone from the George murder?

Just a sugestion. At least double the distance your test weapons went for your search area.

Whats your conditions like? Even at 75' you can burn up divers fast.

Gary D.

Gregoire:
Where are you coming from?...... Over the pass maybe?
Yes.

Gary D.:
Did they ever convict anyone from the George murder?

Whats your conditions like? Even at 75' you can burn up divers fast.
Not yet on the conviction. I think the recovered weapon is still speculation but I don't know.

Conditions are 80'-100', light current, was good vis. (about 15'), silty bottom (but not soupy). Current seemed to be mostly in the mid and upper part of water column. Last time we had 14 divers I believe, probably fewer this time.

And I'd have to agree with Gary D. on doubling the distance for the gun. You probably throw a bit better when you're facing a murder rap!

Out of curiosity, how do you search a silty bottom for a heavy dense object like a gun without actually shoving your hands in there and reducing the vis to nil? Is the bottom hard enough for the gun to sit on top?

jonnythan:
Out of curiosity, how do you search a silty bottom for a heavy dense object like a gun without actually shoving your hands in there and reducing the vis to nil? Is the bottom hard enough for the gun to sit on top?
Yes. That was a huge concern, but the "test" guns sat on top. I don't know how the other gun that was recovered was situated, but I think he said "part" of the gun was sticking up. I think because there's a real light current there, the silt didn't get too deep.

15' visibility!!! That's like diving in the tropics for most PSD recoveries!!!! Well, at least in Western PA.

Dan

Boater Dan:
15' visibility!!! That's like diving in the tropics for most PSD recoveries!!!! Well, at least in Western PA.

Dan
You know it! It was beautiful -- water so clean I didn't need to rinse my gear! And a balmy 65 deg. F. as well! :D

I just got a call. Seems we are not going to dive there tomorrow after all. Chief said, "No." But you know how that is -- if you blame a superior (esp. one who's essentially inaccessible), no one can argue or blame you...

That's 4 less divers for the team. Sorry Greg D. :frown:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom