Everything old is new again (My indentured servitude has begun!)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hepcat62

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Tonight marked the first night of the first OW class I"m assisting all the way through as part of my DM internship. I've done a couple of refresher courses prior to this, but wow - what an eye opener.

For me, it was a pretty amazing experience... I'm being reminded of exactly how I KNOW I was performing the first time I was breathing underwater, but I'm also being reminded of how incredibly far I've come in such a short amount of time. People are now looking to me for answers to problems, and I'm finding that I have them. I think my subconscious feels a moment of surprise every time that happens, even though I know that I know this stuff and what I've done to get myself to this point.

The hardest part is not providing answers that - as a DM (candidate or not) - I'm not really allowed to provide. If you want proof that uncertified divers will listen to just about anybody who looks half-way confident, consider me Exhibit A. :)

Anyway - it's not such a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but I was feeling good and felt like writing. In my personal diving, I'm headed towards essentials or fundies, but I believe that anybody who is really passionate about diving and wants to share that passion with others should consider getting a recreational DM certification. Watching brand-new divers slowly "get it" is something that will stick with you (and makes the massive headaches re: liability suddenly seem bearable :D).

Glad you are enjoying becoming a DM. Now it is on your shoulders to turn out divers that can control buoyancy and perform the skills and drills necessary safely :)

I often dive with newer divers and their enthusiasm is contagious.

Glad you are enjoying becoming a DM. Now it is on your shoulders to turn out divers that can control buoyancy and perform the skills and drills necessary safely :)

No kidding, and I have a newfound appreciation for just how difficult that can be! Getting people to do things "calmly and slowly" is extraordinarily difficult when their hearts are racing from the experience of breathing underwater for the first time and (in the case of a couple of students) they're wearing a few hundred dollars of new gear they're incredibly excited about getting to use. :wink:

Bonus lesson for me tonight - the magnetic attachment that comes with whatever brand of octopus some of the students were using is absolutely worthless, and we'll be finding them a much better solution in the shop tomorrow.

I've loved doing the pool sessions and OW dives I've done during my internship. Every time I get in the pool, I see the befuddled woman in the corner who just couldn't master buoyancy and found the tank trying to turn her turtle every time she moved. It gives me a lot of empathy and patience with the clumsier students. And it is SO much fun to work with them, and to see their faces light up when they begin to get it.

the magnetic attachment that comes with whatever brand of octopus some of the students were using is absolutely worthless, and we'll be finding them a much better solution in the shop tomorrow.

Bungee cord to strap it around their neck on a 22-24" hose :D

Sorry just had to say it!

Rock on Hepcat!

Glad you're enjoying yourself and helping new divers.

While DMs can't teach, it's not uncommon for students to like DMs more. You're really a role model for everyone there, and I'm sure your presence and attitude is making a huge difference to the classes your helping out with.

But you'll be dead after day 1...

That is the point! He will never get to show them his strange gear that way (They sure do go through a lot of DM's that way). Even though the dive shops sells different gear, first they need to sell the customer all the dive gear that will shortly be found in the classifieds, then follow it up by selling the good stuff. (I am kidding, Wallin's is a good dive shop from what I have seen and heard, and they do offer a broad range of gear types).

Back
Top Bottom