Everglades?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slackercruster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Family mentioned checking out the everglades on our trip to Fla. (For sightseeing not diving) Are they worth an excursion? Our resources are limited and was wondering what you think about it?

Thanks

We did an airboat tour a couple of years ago and had a great time. Saw alligators and these little bitty raccoons (they are bigger in Ohio) and tons of birds. Cruising through the mangroves is awesome too. Find a tour boat with tiered seating instead of one where everyone sits in the bottom of the boat. Tiered seating means everyone gets a good view.
Ber :lilbunny:

I went to Billie Swamp Safari with my family not too long ago and we had a great time. We did the airboat and swamp buggy tours. I'd highly recommend it!

Go to:
http://www.seminoletribe.com/safari/

Last year My wife and I went to Ft. Myers and drove down to Everglades City and took an airboat tour. Very fun, just like on Gentle Ben (shows how old I am). saw gaters, birds, and even wild pigs!

The whole area is neat to see and there are a lot of places to go walk around and see things.

Have a great time!

Jeff

Just a tip, avoid going in May. :) I went several years ago and when I arrived at the campground, I was surprised to find it totally empty. There wasn't even anyone there to collect the camping fees. You just dropped your money into a box. There was a mosquito rating sign that indicated were we in for a "bloodbath" that day. (BTW, "bloodbath" is just one rating below "total carnage"). Being from New Jersey, I thought I was used to mosquitos and wasn't worried. Well, after spending the day canoeing through the Everglades, I headed back to my tent for a nap. I was awoken by an intense humming sound and looked out of my tent window to see huge black clouds of mosquitos! Of course, this was right around the time nature called (of course) and I had to sprint to the bathrooms, where I found toilets full of mosquitos (they love standing water). I think I had over 90 bites by the time I returned to my tent. At this point I realized why I was the only one there, lol.

Other than that, it was a great experience. Lovely view and some of the neatest things I've ever seen outdoors.

Just don't go in May. :)

J75, you poor guy! Just shy of total carnage eh??

BTW - take Vitamin B and you'll ward off lots of the pesties.. mosquitos and noseeums!

The 'glades are cool to check out if you don't plan on hanging out long during the summer... well, late spring to about November if you will. Carry your OFF Deep Woods or something else heavy in DEET or if your allergic to DEET, get a Citronella based spray (Buzz-off is great!) and really take your time away from the ravages of population. The wildlife that is just growing or living within 100' of the access trails/roads is absolutely astounding!

Kayak or canoe through the cypress forests. Great thing to do with a group of people. And A LOT more quiet than the airboats so you can hear each other talk!

J75 I had a similar experience where I had to go inside my car while they were swarming around the doors. Thankfully the ac made short work of them. I just had to donate about a pint of blood. lol.

P.S. What's above total carnage? Utter annihilation?

Thanks for all the info. The bugs sound scary and will get some spray as recommended.

On another note, going to Everglades National Park is a $10 entrance fee per vehicle, good for 6 days! Highly recommend it. Most of the birds have gone north by now, but you will still see plenty of natives. Best birding is early morning and dusk. Check out the Ahinga Trail and the Mahogany Hammock. The national park is about 30 miles from the entrance to Flamingo, and worth the drive. Unfortunately, Hurricane Wilma and Rita destroyed a lot of the southern portions. I was there a couple months ago and almost cried. Eco pond is gone.
Also, if you take Tamiami Trail from Miami east, you will hit the upper Everglades and Shark Valley. You can take the tram tour...a little pricey, but worth it. Also, you can bike or hike out to the observation tower 8 miles away. Be ready for an afternoon pop up shower!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom