Ever swim in a bait ball.... of SEA LIONS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spt29970

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
This weekend at Santa Cruz Island I was treated to such an experience. I have played with sea lions many times, but never so many at once. There were at least a hundred swirling around me. I noticed some white things floating in the water and picked one up. It was a squid tentacle. Apparently they were just finishing devouring some squid when I got there. The light wasn't great for photography but what an experience. Check out the photos at

Santa Cruz Island 12-5-09 - a set on Flickr

Incredible. I love the Channel Islands.

Great photos! Sounds like an experience of a lifetime. I've had three trips out to SC island and have encountered some big bulls and a few harbor seals but never seen anything quite like this.

What marvelous photos! Having a sea lion encounter of that kind is one of the things I hope for when I dive down there. Hasn't happened yet, but that gives me something to look forward to!

WOW!

Thanks for sharing.

Very cool! Looks like Lobos Rocks on a busy Sea Lion day!

Wow, Wow, Wow... Great shots!

Wow indeed... At first I thought you meant they might have been the bait ball for something larger. :wink:

Love that first one... amazing encounter.

The funny thing is that on this boat there were a bunch of hunters. As I came up, I ran across a father/daughter team beating the heck out of the reef with a crowbar to get scallops and they were completely oblivious to the show behind them. I tapped on the father's shoulder and pointed back at the sea lions. He took one glance and went back to his scallops. Go figure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom