Ever See An Octo Do This?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dwashbur

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This guy wasn't more than 6" long from tip to tip while swimming. The fact that my daughter found him at all, out on the sand in about 14' of water at the Breakwater during our 8/29 night dive, is amazing. But what he did was so much more amazing I have to explain it in pictures.

We found him pretty much like this, though my daughter said when she first saw him it looked as though he was coming up out of a hole in the sand:

octo1.jpg

We studied him for a while, taking pictures and watching him change colors, change his shape and all the cool things that octopi do. Then he moved away and we followed. To our surprise, he stopped next to this bat star:

octo2.jpg

and to our utter amazement, started tucking himself UNDER it. I thought, "Okay, being eaten is preferrable to being out here with us?!?!?!?!"

octo3.jpg

Here's another angle as he continued to slide under the bat star. Oddly enough, he didn't seem to be in any distress, and the star didn't seem to be reacting:

octo6.jpg

So we figured, what the hey, let's take a look. We carefully moved the star just as the octo disappeared under it, and this is what we saw:

octo7.jpg

Seconds later, he vanished completely, leaving nothing but a hole in the sand. It was one of the most incredible things we've ever seen. We've seen Catalina Congers bury themselves, but we had no idea that any species of octopus did it.

Incidentally, does anybody know what kind of octo he is? He doesn't appear to be the basic red octopus, Octopus rubescens, because he doesn't have the "eyelashes" that characterize that one. But we can't tell what he is. Help would be appreciated.

Viz on this dive was so horrible we despaired of seeing anything good. This event sure turned that around!!!!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom