Ever dove with a UV light?

Have you ever done a night dive with a UV light?

• Yes

Votes: 23 59.0%
  • No

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • Want to

Votes: 6 15.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sbw2131

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi there! I'm new to ScubaBoard, been diving for a few years now. I live in Central California, and love going for night dives right off the beach--whether we're hunting for lobster or out for fun.

Ever gone for a dive with a UV light? I've recently discovered the joy of looking at tidepools under a UV light, but haven't yet gone out for a proper dive with one. Very eager to, but have had a winter of big churn and bad visibility--hopefully soon!

I carry one for night dives (Red Sea), it is always fun diving in deep purple mode. Brain corals, for example, glow amazingly in UV.

You can see the difference when illuminated with regular light vs UV in attached photo.

Some seashells glow bright red under UV light

It is good also to spot scorpions from large distance.

Attachments

• MVI_3803~2.gif
    MVI_3803~2.gif
    6.4 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG-20240305-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20240305-WA0000.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 32
I've done night dives (and cavern dives) with several buddies who have UV lights; it's a fun source of entertainment to switch things up a bit, but I usually let them swim around with it, then wave me over when they find something fun to look at.

Unfortunately, that often seems to be my white-and-teal fins :/

By far not my best video - but a short using UV light: There are different corals that reflect differently - some were green, some were bright gold, the short just shows some of the bleached coral glowing nicely. There were others around me with white lights too - again not my best video.

we did a fluorescent night dive @ Sunscapes in Curaçao for my wife's birthday. They supplied the UV lights and the yellow filter to go over your mask... it was a pretty cool experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom