ever been bent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tim Ingersoll once bubbled...
Am I the only one out there that kind of likes the pleasantly exhausted feeling after diving? I love the feeling that I was up early, got some good exercise (endorphins are a good thing), and really enjoyed that cheeseburger and beer for lunch. Tim

Not when I've got a 2 hour ride home after the dive. And you don't know what is really happening internally with these symptoms.

Yeah I see what you mean. I am a vacation only diver. I don't think I would drive two hours to dive and then drive two hours back. I did an hour and a half open boat ride in Belize during a storm once. That was too much like work.

Tim Ingersoll once bubbled...
Am I the only one out there that kind of likes the pleasantly exhausted feeling after diving? I love the feeling that I was up early, got some good exercise (endorphins are a good thing), and really enjoyed that cheeseburger and beer for lunch. Tim

There's a difference between pleasantly tired and nearly falling asleep at the wheel while driving home. Pleasantly tired is fine, that's just physical activity associated with diving. I think most folks enjoy that. Exhausted feeling due to excess N2 is something that you can (and should) take steps to avoid. Last thing I want to happen is me falling asleep and crashing while on the way home from the dive. No diving for a while then. :(

-Roman.

You guys must be doing some intense diving. The key word in the comment I made was "pleasantly". I'm talking about a different feeling than one gets after an above-water workout. Similar but different. Certainly not to the point of falling asleep. Maybe I'm just feeling a mix of a real low level hit combined with endorphins. Tim.

After my first two 'deep' dives (100' pushing the tables a bit after doing 3-4 dives a day for 3 days prior)

I had a _couple_ drinks the night before and had a bit of cotton mouth that morning, and during the dives. (water water everywhere...)

Basically, I felt exceptionally fatigued afterwards. Ready to fall asleep on the boat, it lasted into the end of the next day.

Since then I WILL NOT have anything to drink, at all, the night before diving. I also always make sure I'm pumped full of water.

I've learned quite a bit about deco theory since then and have modified my deeper profiles appropriately.

I would have to say I have that "pleasently" tired feeling. Although, it is a longer stronger than say a 5 mile run. I can make the drive home, run errands if I have to, and get my gear rinsed, but all the while the couch is calling. If I have something to do later in the day, as long as I don't let myself fall asleep, I can usually keep going. But once I lay down for that after dive nap...I'm done for the day!

I was guiding 4 divers on a reverse profile cave to open water dive on the weekend. We decended to 14m entered the cave good fish life and stuff, exected the cave and swam out into open water to a depth of 23m B4 moving slowly back to 15m making an slow assent to the surface with a 3 minute safety stop at 5m. Total dive time 25 minutes. The closest we came to our NDL s was 8 minutes. Then 1 hour later a second dive to 14m for 20 minutes. She felt like crap the next day, sore joints, with numness and weakness in the legs. Went to the navy hospital and spent 2 days under observation with possible DCS - no chamber run. The day before, 2 shallow dives no deeper than 15m.

EBdiver's instructor was right. It is because of the higher oxygen content that we get less tired underwater, and after dives. Think about what oxygen does for our bodies, and why we breath (at least i do to speed up deco times) pure oxygen while decompressing.

trymixdiver once bubbled...
Post dive fatigue like a few have mentioned.
After a deco dive i began to get ichy in the chest...
... i still think i was bent, not a seriuos squeaze.
Andy
What you described is commonly known as "skin bends". As I understand it, it's capillary damage due to bubbles; diving docs may be able to elaborate better. Think of it as a strong warning sign that you're pushing things too much.

I've received skin bends as a result of a recompression chamber ride to 165' (50m) during chamber operator training.

Interestingly, I had my dive computer with me during the ride, and the chamber door popped open ("surfaced") the exact moment the computer cleared deco mode. I believe the dive was planned using DCIEM (Canadian) deco tables. Now I dive very conservatively when using that computer.

G2

I agree with you, but according to my phone call to DAN they said serious suit squeaze.

Andy

I was lucky to have alot of O2 and i was using it alot on the 75 mile drive home. I did feel better after that drive, but it was still very itchy and black, blue and red.

Its just too similar to the text book definition for me to think it was anything but DCS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom