Evacuations for Ambergris Caye, Caye Caulker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Praxus

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
"LANDFALL FOR THE CENTRE OF VERY DANGEROUS HURRICANE DEAN IS NOW FORECAST TO BE NEAR 21/0600Z 18.8N 87.0W WITH SUSTAINED MAXIMUM WIND SPEEDS OF 140 KT. NEAR 30 to 50 Miles north of Chetumal

THE GOVERNMENT OF BELIZE HAS THEREFORE RECOMMENDED IMMEDIATE VOLUNTARY EVACUATION OF LOW LYING AREAS AND THE OUTER ISLANDS AND CAYES TO BE BROUGHT TO COMPLETION AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

NEMO IS URGING ALL RESIDENTS OF AMBERGRIS CAYE, SAN PEDRO AND CAYE CAULKER TO COMPLETE THEIR EVACUATION PLANS NOW."

Quite a few people haven't evacuated (though lots have). More out of fear of looting than any great confidence in the weather, however. Already gangs of criminals have been seen "tooled up" and waiting - some have been arrested but there are lots more. A man was mugged in the street earlier today. Unfortunately Belize doesn't seem to operate the same policy as the Jamaican authorities, which is to shoot looters on sight. Two were shot earlier today, and I for one applaud that.

Keep your heads down if you're still on the islands.
After the storm passes, let us know what we can do .

Dave

Update via BelizeNews.com (8/21 at 10am):

"chairman of caye caulker emergency committee: broken trees on island, some debris, one power line down. light wind, everybody is safe"

I cannot confirm the validity of the info, but it is a good sign...

I just called a good friend of mine in San Pedro. His grandson told me everything is fine. Nothing like Keith was.

Peter,
It will probably be a while before you can log on to read this, but Godspeed to you and stay safe.
Jim

So many posters with so much positive to say about Ambergris Caye. And much help from the guys working out there.

Sounds like good news. Good luck with getting everything opened up again.

And I'll see you at Christmas.

Back
Top Bottom