european tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

regtech17

Reaction score
I am bringing back european tanks with no DOT or TC stamps. Does any one know if you can get these tanks certified for filling in Canada and where?

Thanks

There have been numerous posts on this subject in the past. In short I reccomend you sell the tanks while in europe and reinvest in tanks once you get back to North America. Otherwise you may (probably ) find yourself in red tape limbo.

chrpai:
There have been numerous posts on this subject in the past. In short I reccomend you sell the tanks while in europe and reinvest in tanks once you get back to North America. Otherwise you may (probably ) find yourself in red tape limbo.

I concur. The same thing applies going the other way too. Some DIR divers around here import aluminium tanks from the US because of their favourable bouyancy characteristics and end up going through all kinds of pain to get them tested. I've heard that some manufacturers are starting to double stamp their tanks (with US and EU markings) but it still isn't common (at least I haven't seen any) and it just a source of headaches.

R..

regtech17:
I am bringing back european tanks with no DOT or TC stamps. Does any one know if you can get these tanks certified for filling in Canada and where?

Thanks

They cannot be certified except by the manufacturer. There are only two ways that they can be filled: As they leave the country for emergency use (ie. on a ship as emergency breathing appartus) or from your very own compressor. It is against TC and DOT regulations for a commercial establishment to fill or hydrotest these tanks.

As it was said above, sell em and buy new. They aren't worth the cartage.

Ontario Diver:
It is against TC and DOT regulations for a commercial establishment to fill or hydrotest these tanks.
You should be able to get them hydrotested, but they can't stamp them.
I've been threatening to weld up my own tanks sometime. That'd really fry some brains, eh? :D

Bob3:
You should be able to get them hydrotested, but they can't stamp them.
I've been threatening to weld up my own tanks sometime. That'd really fry some brains, eh? :D

Actually in Canada, the hydro facility isn't even supposed to test them. The rationale is that you don't know what pressures and test proceedures you are supposed to use. The facility could lose thier certificate over it - if they were ever caught out.

Back
Top Bottom