Etiquette of “NO, you are not diving with us”

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wedivebc:
So I guess I'm not good enough to dive with you?

the point is that
a) DIR dictates that similar configurations can/do help keep a dive safe
b) it doesn't specifically state that you shouldn't dive with someone who is differently configured, but it is definitely a good excuse

lamont:
arguably diving with an instant shore buddy is no different from diving with someone who posted on scubaboard looking for buddies -- but it tweaks me the wrong way...

I would not agree with that. On Scubaboard one can at least PM, discuss the dive site, experience levels, expectations, and just about any other aspect of a dive before even meeting the diver!!

When someone walks up to you on a shore, you know nothing other than they are there, with gear, wanting to dive.

Tom:
>>This is one of those no-win situations.<<

That is truly how it felt. Whatever way, we knew we’d feel lousy, and then we were pissed that we would. What was this guy coming into our day and forcing us to make this choice. Definitely no people’s skills – can’t you read the body language, what about repeated doubting questions, eh??? I know this is on me there’s no question about it but come on you see someone obviously stalling, get a clue. I’d say that if I ever (after this) was to ask anyone if I could join them as a third wheel, and they said no, I – with the risk of appearing very dorky – would try to make some sort of remark that others wouldn’t need to continue gearing up avoiding eye contact in case I am moping about. Whatever psychiatrists etc (friendly grin to yous mstevens) would hope, there are many of us that feel it would be nice to be able to offer the ride to fellows in need (at least UNTIL we find out they’re jerks).

umm..... Rebecca :wink:

btw, is it very common for you techies or dirbats to get approached by outsiders asking to join? I would not have thought so but maybe I am just oblivious. Who turns up at the mouth of the cave looking for insta-buddy?

And now that I hopefully got someone's attention, a brief excursion. I just removed my reg setup from a tank where I had it for a night to see if I have a leak (DIN valve so dir-bats may answer, snicker). I do not see a leak but I am ignorant. Do your gauge hose have these little 'holes' in the rubber? I noticed it yesterday, a series of teeny pinpricks run all the way down the hose, holes are about centimeter apart. When I got up from water I wipeth the hose and had it still attached and teeny water bubbles kept forming onto the hose on those holes. What are they? They run on two sides of the gauge hose.

My son and I are aggressive snow skiiers.
We've turned down lot's of people by asking them what runs they do.
I don't think we ever hurt anyones feelings.
Dive wise we politely keep to ourselfs.
If I had to consider an unknown person their air consumption might be my first question.

If you put your ear real close to the little tiny holes, you will hear your hose saying in a high-pitched squeaky voice, "Replaaaaaace meeeeeeeeeeee..."

If you put your ear real close to the little tiny holes, you will hear your hose saying in a high-pitched squeaky voice, "Replaaaaaace meeeeeeeeeeee..."

Oh my... I snug back to garage, pressed my ear onto the hose, and all I heard was
"but I am onlyyyyy twoooo mooooonths ooooooold" and a little cry after that

wedivebc:
So I guess I'm not good enough to dive with you?

You made a pretty large assumption here.

I am not DIR, nor am I GUE trained. I have less than 10 logged dives. I would be the newbie diver in this scenario. I merely wanted to give an example of how someone who WAS a DIR diver would have a built-in excuse that was easily verifiable.

Why the hate? I'm just here to learn from you guys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom