Ethics of sport take

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JustinW

Contributor
Reaction score
Disclaimer:
This is not a troll

There are hundreds of species of sharks in our world, some we know little about, some we see quite common. Many are very abundant while others are rare. It seems the attitude is that no shark should be harmed, however, I do not see any harm to the overall population if sharks are harvested for sport while being monitored by marine biologists. Am I misinterpreting the stance here? It seems that a responsible harvest would not cause overall harm. Opinions please

With most predators sexual maturation is relatively slow and reproduction and replacement rates tend to be very low as a means to ensure that the species does not become overpopulated and exhaust the food supply.

This poses a problem to sport fishing of sharks as it takes years for a shark to reach reproductive age and produce adequate offspring to ensure replacement and this capacity is easily exceeded by any substantial harvest of the population.

Sport fishing is also only one of the risks posed to sharks in general. Many species are also frequently killed or drowned as by catch by commercial fishing operations in addition to fisheries that target them specifically for their fins.

If we lived in a perfect world where commercial fishing practices did not already theaten many shark species, there would probably be room for extensive sport fishing of sharks but as it is, there probably isn't.

Defining sport fishing as hook and line or spearing, I see no problem with it. I would favor catch and release unless the fisherman intends to eat it. I don't have much use for killing for the sake of killing.

My hope is that state and federal fisheries regulatory agenices will set a limit on sport and commercial fishing and give the stocks an opportunity to come back.

TwoBit

Never been a proponent of hunting or fishing just for sport.

I've taken many, many game animals in my life and many fish, but the taking was to increase the larder. That was the PRIMARY purpose.

I've never seen the purpose in taking game for the sole purpose of sport.

I can't understand man's need to take the life of another living creature just to say that he accomplised that feat or to catch or kill an animal bigger than the biggest taken.

Just my opinion.

I agree. Sharks are really Delicate creatures. Sharks don't just bounce back when man makes a mistake. I think we should only caught them on film. Leave them alone....

If someone kills a shark and uses all of it, that doesn't bother me. The problems are the cruel slaughter of sharks only for their fins, and as already stated the fact that shark populations replentish very slowly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom